Thunderbolt bus powered drives? RAID?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joecool99, Jun 21, 2013.

1. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

i've 2x 2TB RAID0 lacie quadra drives. the older gen with FW800. best i ever had.
    powered directly via FW800 cable and can daisy chain them together.
    also it's silent. there is no fan.

i would like to upgrade thunderbolt drives later this fall when new MBP is released.
    however i didn't see any good setup as my drives. ideally i want RAID0, BUS POWERED thunderbolt drives that can be daisy-chained. the current lacie drives sucks as they need power supply. what's the point. then i might as well carry big bulky desktop drives.
    i need a solution that get's powered by thunderbolt.

what's out there ?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Unlikely. FireWire could supply up to 45W of current for bus-powered devices, Thunderbolt only 10W.

3. joecool99 thread starter Suspended

joecool99

4. g4cube macrumors 6502a

While the FireWire spec permitted power up to 45w, no shipping Mac ever exceeded 15-16w.

Thunderbolt 2 does not increase the available power, but newer Thunderbolt chipsets draw less power for the controller, which may make a bit more power available for drives.

2 drives or 2 SSDs? not until lower power versions are available, or if manufacturers add a battery boost for more power capacity.

So...for now, only wall powered Thunderbolt devices will deliver what you are looking for.

Note: there is the Promise J2 that packages 2 mSATA devices in the same case. When bus powered, performance is throttled so as to not draw too much power. Only if the optional AC adapter is connected does the performance increase to its max data rate. A spendy drive, though!

5. JimmyMcV macrumors newbie

6. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Unlikely that you have a bus powered LaCie Quadra drive; this was more likely either the Desktop d2 Quadra or the LaCie 2big which had a separate power supply, or you have the LaCie Rugged with FW400/FW800 and USB which was bus powered.

Revisit the LaCie website, and you'll find the LaCie Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 drive which is 1 TB HDD, or 120 GB or 256 GB SSD.

2 of them can be striped together if you feel you have the need for speed and capacity.

There's also the 2TB USB 3.0 HDD drive from Western Digital.

7. flynz4 macrumors 68040

That would be power... not current (which is measured in amps, not watts).

/Jim

8. FireWire2 macrumors 6502

FireWire2

W=V*I <-- Power measures in Watts not AMP or Voltage

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Which agrees with what I said. Current is measured in Amps. The person I quoted was saying that FW supplied 45W of current.

/Jim