Thunderbolt Caddy

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LastLine, Feb 9, 2014.

1. LastLine macrumors 65816

Can anyone suggest a Thunderbolt based SATA Enclosure, looking for one to use with a 2.5" SSD for some quicker boot times.

Any thoughts much appreciated

2. williamh macrumors regular

3. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

For a single SSD, USB 3.0 (presuming you have it) is just as fast or faster, and much more cost-effective.

4. LastLine thread starter macrumors 65816

More cost effective perhaps, but I'm out of USB 3.0 ports so might as well make use of the Thunderbolt ports :-D

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I'll be first to say that using that shiny new port is going to be fun, but likely even a USB 3.0 drive and a USB 3 hub is going to be cheaper than a thunderbolt enclosure.

However, I use this 2.5" dual-drive TB case and I'm happy with it.
    http://www.akitio.com/portable-storage/neutrino-thunder-duo
    It's available with no drives from Monoprice.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Until quite recently, you could find this Delock 42490 Thunderbolt enclosure on Amazon US. It's readily available here in Asia and if you can find it someplace it's about $90.

While not an enclosure, the Seagate STAE128 Thunderbolt adapter is another popular option for adding an external SSD.

The Delock runs via an AC adapter while the Seagate is bus-powered.

Thunderbolt is always a better choice, but if you do decide to go with a USB 3 enclosure, I highly recommend one with UASP support like this Inateck.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

I just got that enclosure and I really like it. It is plastic but it is tool-free (makes drive changes easy) and has an off/off switch which I find very handy.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thanks for the review. I have been considering picking up one of these myself and you sure can't beat the price.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

What the heck is with that bizarre USB port? Why in the world would they put a type A connector on the drive?

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

11. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

One of the best enclosures I have tried is the LaCie "Rugged" Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 case. You can get a 1TB refurbished unit from Mac Mall and swap out the hard disk for a SSD of your choice. Then sell or use the pulled 1TB hard disk. This comes with the Thunderbolt cable as well.

The ugly orange rubber shell comes off easily and the "bare" enclosure is very nice looking without it.

-howard

12. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Because USB A connectors are specified to always be on the host side... and USB A-A connectors are illegal.

Plugging them into two ports on two computers (as an example) shorts two power supplies together. Similar to having a power cord with two male plugs (one on each end)... so that you can plug it into two wall sockets.

USB A-A is a very bad idea.

/Jim

13. SaSaSushi, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The devices in question are bus-powered so it is a moot issue. There is no danger of shorting power supplies and therefore no disadvantage nor risk in using A-A.

However, thank you for pointing out why most external (and all AC-powered) devices do, in fact, use A-B.

14. flynz4 macrumors 68040

The issue is that there should be no A-A cables period. Just like there should be no electrical cords with male plugs on both ends.

Any product that would use such a setup would not be certified by the USB-IF... and if such a product had such a label, then it would almost certainly be a counterfeit label.

Personally... I choose to avoid products that so blatantly disregard specs.

/Jim

15. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I disagree that the cables provided are necessarily out of specs. There must be fully certified Type A to Type A cables because USB On-the-Go devices as well as USB-powered Wi-Fi routers require them. This strictly A to B concept is based on an old topology.

And at any rate, even if this were true, there are any number of fully certified cables and adapters that could be used together to achieve the same end results. If two host devices are plugged into each other, ultimately, the user is to blame.

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I agree. But it appears that the whole USB cable mess will be remedied by the next USB 3.1 products which will require all-new cabling and there will supposedly be only 1 cable, period. Of course that also means that all existing products are made obsolete overnight.