Thunderbolt Cinema Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dell who?, Mar 21, 2012.

1. dell who? macrumors member

I'm probably late to the party on this one, but just yesterday I had a product brought to my attention that converts a dual link DVI connection to Mini DisplayPort. I'm wondering if anyone has firsthand experience with an adapter like this working with the Thunderbolt Cinema that Apple makes currently. I'm obviously not expecting that the hub functionality would come through, just the audio/video. To reiterate, I'm looking for input from someone who's seen this work/not work with their own eyes.

2. simsaladimbamba

The ATD will only work with 2011 Macs having a Thunderbolt port, it will not work with Mini DisplayPort.

3. dell who? thread starter macrumors member

Have you tested this theory yourself? I've heard recently that a firmware update has allowed audio/video to pass through the Mini-DP connection to the Thunderbolt display...

4. simsaladimbamba

5. dell who? thread starter macrumors member

The pre-packaged information from Apple says Thunderbolt only, but in their own support forums there are people saying that the audio/video will work on Mini-DP. Anybody with firsthand experience with this? I'm not looking for someone to regurgitate something they found online elsewhere. Anybody tested the theory?

6. simsaladimbamba

Since there haven't been any answers yet, maybe search for them in the meantime?

Ah, I forgot, search is not working.

7. dell who? thread starter macrumors member

Please piss off. I'm obviously aware of what Apple says on the matter, and searching for the answer at large returns ambiguous results, which is why I'm looking for someone who has seen this with their own eyes recently. If nobody else has any comments then fine, but suffice it to say that I'm done hearing from you on the matter. Thanks though for being so helpful and trying to teach me how to use the internet. I really needed that. So much. Thanks again. Really. Thanks.

8. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

When they list the product as Mini Displayport audio/video compliant, doesnt that simply indicate that MBPs since mid 2010 can take advantage of it? I regularly use a "Mini Displayport to HDMI" adapter with my 2011 MBP through the thunderbolt port. It was my understanding that the Tbolt port would be fully "backwards compatible" with the MDP A/V standard.

Edit: after re-reading I'm not exactly clear on what signal flow your talking about. It sounds like you meant, can you connect a dual-link DVI monitor INTO a ATD using the adapter. AND the ATD would already be connected to a MBP via Tbolt port? MBP -> ATD -> dualink adapter -> extra monitor ?

9. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Owning both, I can categorically state that;

The Thunderbolt Display only works with a Thunderbolt capable Mac, it will not take any other source as an input.

A Thunderbolt Mac will display outwardly with a mDP-DVI/VGA converter, but not to a Thunderbolt Display.