Thunderbolt cord?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by baxnet, Mar 6, 2011.

1. baxnet macrumors member

baxnet

So I've done a slight bit of digging and didn't find much on the subject.

Is it possible that a thunderbolt (with a speed increase) cord for iPod/iPhone will ever be released?

I've heard of a firewire cord for them, but it doesn't seem to offer any sort of speed increase, so I'm assuming this isn't a possible for transferring/updates, is this correct?

2. axu539 macrumors 6502a

The iDevice itself needs to be Thunderbolt or Firewire compatible. Apple removed Firewire compatibility a couple years ago because not enough people used the port. Apple might/might not add TB to iDevices as well, in the future, but for now, even if you had a cable with the right connectors, you still would only get USB 2.0 speeds, tops.

3. baxnet thread starter macrumors member

baxnet

That's a little disappointing. I appreciate the help, though.

I've got a 1TB Seagate HD that has the interchangeable cord fixture. I know they have a firewire 800 and USB 3.0 fixture for these. Here's to hoping they make a thunderbolt one soon!

4. g00gl3r macrumors newbie

I too was looking for info on this but can't seem to find anything. Apparently we can "daisy chain" our ipods, iphones, and other items.

But I'm guessing the speed would still be no better then?

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

The speed will be better. My iPod with a spinning HDD and firewire port still syncs faster than any newer, flash based, USB only iPod I own.

If you had access to something 8x as fast as Firewire 400, it would probably sync 8x as fast!

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I imagine apple will transition to thunderbolt much like they did when they dropped FireWire support. Chances are we will see 1-2 generations have some hybrid tech that will allow both USB and thunderbolt 30-pin connectors, and then see only thunderbolt a few years down the road.

Apple has built in this dock connector with the idea of it being thinner, I really can't see them dropping in a straight up thunderbolt connection. I expect we will see at the earliest an thunderbolt capable iPhone or iPod touch this summer, starting with the iPhone 5, and then see it roll into the iPad upon the next revision. The only item excluding this from happening is the possibility of cloud storage for our media. In that case there will not really be much of a need for needing to sync like we do now, and I imagine most of us with larger libraries will sync only a portion and then stream the rest.