Thunderbolt - Daisy Chain

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikeyangelo58, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mikeyangelo58 macrumors member

I've been reading up on Thunderbolt...

:cool:

Need some clarification about "daisy chain"

From what I understand you can daisy chain multiple Thunderbolt devices using a single Thunderbolt port.

You can daisy chain external monitors.
    You can daisy chain external hard drives.

But can you daisy chain one external monitor and one external hard drive using a single Thunderbolt port?

How exactly do you connect a daisy chain?
    Does one of the devices require at least 2 Thunderbolt port?

:confused:

For example:

Lets pretend Apple comes out with a HDTV in near future equipped with a Thunderbolt port.

Lets also pretend Apple comes out with a Time Capsule equipped with a Thunderbolt port.

Could I connect my current iMac with a single Thunderbolt port to both of these external devices?

Thanks.

:apple:

2. DESNOS macrumors 6502

Here's the jist of it: Computer>Thunderbolt device 1>Thunderbolt device 2>Thunderbolt device 3>Thunderbolt device 4. Those devices can be anything, it just has to have 2 ports, or a cable and a port like the Thunderbolt Display does.

3. mikeyangelo58 thread starter macrumors member

What if the external devices don't have 2 Thunderbolt ports...

Would there ever be an adapter that plugs into a single Thunderbolt port and expands it to 2 ports?

It took me some time to understand the cable and port concept found in the Apple Thunderbolt display...

Amazing! The ATD has a built in Thunderbolt cable and a port.

Also...

Do I understand correctly that the Thunderbolt cable does audio and video?

...So if you connected an iMac to a TV that had a Thunderbolt port you wouldn't need an HDMI cable?

Thanks.

:apple:

4. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Thunderbolt device with one port can only plugged at the end of daisy chain.

Macbook Pro 2011 model only has one, so you can't plug it in the middle, must be at the end or beginning