Thunderbolt Display - Alternative Uses Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stefan109, Apr 30, 2012.

1. stefan109 macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Thunderbolt Display in the not too distant future but have a few niggling issues/queries with it that I hope someone can help with.

Firstly, I'd ideally like to sell my current 24" LCD and hook up my Xbox to the TD, is this possible? Note: I've read many, many threads saying this is not possible, but all (from my memory) are at least a few months old, and am wondering if anything has come about/due for release that would enable this functionality?

Secondly, is the screen worth the purchase at this moment? I realise when it was released it was a top notch display, but as time has passed (and rumours of a retina display have been bubbling) I'm debating the longevity it. I'd ideally like it to be a primary display for at least 2 computer cycles (planning on buying an 11 MBA on the next update to replace my 2010 15 MBP), so around 6 years.

Opinions?

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

Unless you have another device in between the thunderbolt display and the minidisplay monitor you cannot get video.

Now I don't have the best vision in the world but 27" monitor looks damn good from normal sitting distances. I hope and doubt there is a retina display on the way.

3. stefan109 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for responding.

So to confirm, there's no affordable (say, sub £100) workaround for getting the Xbox to work with the TB (or LED display)?

4. jj48 macrumors regular

There's a few recent threads on this issue that you should check out for more info. The answer (I think) is that there is not currently a solution for the TB display but there is for the cinema display. There is some news about the same solution being updated to work with thunderbolt as well but that could be some way off, who knows. Again check the other threads for all the details.

5. McGilli macrumors 6502

Ya there is a three I just saw for people to show off their Cinema/TB Display setup - and I know I saw pictures of X360 hooked up and running to them and people were asking how he did it... (but maybe it was older Cinema Display)

That thread is right on the main page here....

UPDATE SORRY - I think it was Win8 running, and people thought it was xbox... my mistake...