Thunderbolt display and Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by tim100, Feb 5, 2012.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

How much resources does having the macbook air plugged into the apple thunderbolt use? It charges the battery. What drives the display ram and graphics? Is it ok to charge mba using the display when its not in use? Will attached blutooth keyboard wake it up?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You can charge a MBA whenever you want. When using it as a primary display it just switches to the external display instead of the clamshell. Bluetooth keyboard and mouse works great and will wake up the unit when plugged into an external display....not when unplugged tho.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It charges the battery if the you attach the built in magsafe cable
    The macbook air drives the display, and there is a normal power plug
    your macbook air drives the ram and graphics
    It is fine to charge the display when its not on use
    not sure about the BT KB though

4. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

how about temp? Does it run hotter when using display? what is a normal temp? Is it ok to put in clamshell mode?

5. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

Does it affect the battery much to keep it plugged in most of the time and only running on battery occasionally??

6. xxBURT0Nxx macrumors 68020

xxBURT0Nxx

7. gentlefury macrumors 68030

As long as you use the battery occasionally (meaning use it like the micro portable laptop it is) you're fine. Mine is plugged in when I'm at my desk, but on battery when I'm on the couch or in meetings...or just wanna go to starbucks and play some skyrim!

8. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

how about fans when thunderbolt display is attached to mba?

9. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I got a TB display about 2 weeks ago, and I run the Air in clamshell mode all day. I've never heard fans ever - I don't think they have run over the default 2K rpm. There is no issue with running the Air in clamshell mode. BTW - the display is beautiful, and works really well with the Air.

10. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

I've had a 13" MBA and TBD for several months and not seen any issues with fans, battery, or CPU resources when using it. I am on it nearly all day every day. I keep the MBA closed in clamshell mode when attached. It does wake up with the bluetooth keyboard or magic trackpad.

11. driftway macrumors newbie

Here's another probably noob question:

About to by the Macbook air maxed out, 11", and the large display they sell with it on the Apple website. Can the air be open while running the big display, to use the air keyboard? The screen on the mba would be off?
    Does the large display power/charge the air?
    And, can our 2009 Macbook pro 13 be hooked up to the display they are selling with the air?
    thanks..

12. Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

By large display you mean the ATD? If so yes it can be open, you can use the keyboard and trackpad, and the screen would be on, on both displays both the MBA and the ATD.

The display also comes with a charger that you can plug into the spot where you would usually put your charger on the MBA. So yes it does charge your MBA.

If it is the ATD, then no the 2009 MBP can´t be used with the new large display.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Install iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, fans and other things. Yes, it's fine to run in clamshell mode.
    See above. Your Mac is not overheating. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks. The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

The battery needs to be exercised to stay healthy. Unplug every few days and run on battery for a few hours and you'll be fine. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

14. driftway macrumors newbie

ok,that's too bad. Then, can someone recommend the best decent size display to use with our two laptops, 2012 mba 11 and 2009 13 macbook pro....
    The macbook pro would use it much more by the way, and it would be nice to use it closed with a bt keyboard.....

15. Kroner macrumors regular

Kroner

Well you could use the older Apple Cinema display, the screen is as good as the ATD, and it would work with both computers.

Well I am no expert about screens, but there ought to be plenty of display that are good, so I will leave recommendation of screens to other people :)

16. driftway macrumors newbie

yes, I would hope the apple cinema display (999!) can sit on a desk and we can easily plug in CLOSED either the macbook pro or the 2012 MBA 11 and then happily start using via the BT apple keyboard and trackpad.
    Anyone doing this set up?

17. mcwhite1983 macrumors newbie

27" Apple Cinema Display (MDP)

I have this exact setup, just bought the older ACD which will work through the MDP on the older MBP, and the thunderbolt port on the newer macs. Only difference is the new display has a few more ports on the back, but the screen resolution is the same and they are the same price. t is still stocked at most apple stores, you can check on the website.

18. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Same here. I have a mid-2011 11" MBA and a 27" ATD. The only time I get any fan noise is if I am using parallels/Windows 7. If I am not using a VM I have never heard the fans come on.

/Jim

19. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Just picked up a TBD today to go with my 2011 air. Love it. I bought a 27" Samsung monitor a few days ago, but just couldn't stop thinking about the Apple display. My air has been in clamshell mode for the past 4-5 hours hooked up to the display using the magic trackpad and keyboard. I noticed the temp is running just a few degrees hotter, but no biggie.

This thing is absolutely beautiful. Like someone else said, the Cinema display has the same screen and looks just as good. Go for it!

20. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

would a 15 macbook pro run cooler due to its graphics card, processor, and fans?

21. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

anyone use display mirror? why does it look so bad?

22. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

You have to go into the display preferences and change the resolution for the thunderbolt display. If you don't change that it will stay at the air's native resolution, which looks like crap on a 27' screen lol.

23. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

does clamshell mode create the notebook to heat up more??

24. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

Nah, vent is where the hinge is. When I am working with 3-4 spreadsheets, mail, and safari with around 5 tabs open the temp hovers around 55-60 degrees. It's going to run a little hotter, but it's not a big deal.

----------

Having an air with a thunderbolt display is the best of both worlds man. I gave my 2011 17" pro to my wife for this set up. That thing feels massive now compared to my air. If I want a big screen now I have the thunderbolt :)

25. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

temp hooked up to thunderbolt playing flash video

mba 95 c
    mbp 65 c