Thunderbolt display and MiniDisplayPort?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adamvk, Nov 5, 2011.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

So I have a Thunderbolt Display now, and it's not working with my mid-2010 Macbook Pro. My Macbook Pro has Minidisplay Port, and I was told I don't need an adapter for the Thunderbolt Display. When I plug it in, the Display does nothing. The power works, but the display doesn't turn. When I select "detect displays", this also does nothing. Help please!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To use a Thunderbolt display, you need a Thunderbolt Mac. You need to return that one and get the 27" non-Thunderbolt display.

3. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

4. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Damn it Apple. Ok, thanks. Unfortunately I can't return it as it was supplied to me for work, so it's not actually mine. I guess it will just be a $1000 paperweight on my desk until Apple releases an adapter or I get a new Mac. Sad day.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple won't be making an adapter. Guess its time to start saving up for a new Mac.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I doubt there will be an adapter as they are both sold [ yes i know that people could have a thunderbolt mac and an non thunderbolt mac]
    I am sure if you ask your manager to return it and explain the problem he/she will. Was it purchased less then 14 days ago? no restocking fee then.

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well maybe I can just get them to return them for the older ones.

8. tbear1 macrumors regular

Wow, that kinda stinks. Check with Atlona. They do a lot of matrix switches and display converters. They may be working on something.

Glenn

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Ask them to give you a new laptop :)