Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekksan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Are there any speakers with subwoofer that you can connect to the Thunderbolt Display via USB so one doesn't have to connect a 3.5mm audio cable to their laptop when 'docking'? Will the USB speakers work via the Thunderbolt Display cable?

Blaine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
Abilene TX
I'd like to know this as well. My next set of speakers will probably be USB, and I'd like to rout them through a Thunderbolt Display. Idk if that will cause any problems or not, because the monitors USB ports are routed through the thunderbolt cable.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
How about picking up a new wireless Bluetooth speaker system instead? HK now has Soundsticks wireless and so does Edifier Prisma for reasonable prices. Both are 2.1 systems with a subwoofer.

LaazyEye

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2010
Data is data, you should have no more problems using USB speakers on a Thunderbolt Display than you would hooking them up to your laptop directly.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I'm using a $8 USB>headphone port adapter off a hub connected to my TB display. Works great...and have an automator shortcut that switches the input back and forth for me.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Just a bump on this, as I'm looking for something with a subwoofer to go with my TBD.

I've looked at the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks, and also the Edifier Prisma, but apparently the bluetooth is for iPhones/iPads, etc, and doesn't work with Macs.

I have a Mac mini and TBD and am still looking for a solution. Any ideas?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just a bump on this, as I'm looking for something with a subwoofer to go with my TBD.

I've looked at the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks, and also the Edifier Prisma, but apparently the bluetooth is for iPhones/iPads, etc, and doesn't work with Macs.

I have a Mac mini and TBD and am still looking for a solution. Any ideas?
Get the normal Soundsticks (or any wired speakers) and use something like this adapter. I'd actual recommend the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
Or you can get a cheap DAC and really improve your sound quality all together.

I have TB display > Fiio e10 > Audioengine a5+

Amazing set up.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Get the normal Soundsticks (or any wired speakers) and use something like this adapter. I'd actual recommend the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers.

Ah, I love Klipsch. We have a small iPod sound system in our kitchen and it is amazing.

I run a Mac mini with this Thunderbolt Display, and apart from the display audio I actually use a Griffin iMic for my headphones, as that allows me to manually switch between the headphones and display output from the Finder menu bar.

Given the Klipsch uses a headphone input port, I could just use the spare headphone port on the back of the Mac mini, right? Is there any advantage to using the USB adaptor?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Given the Klipsch uses a headphone input port, I could just use the spare headphone port on the back of the Mac mini, right? Is there any advantage to using the USB adaptor?
I know on the iMac that if you use the audio output jack the internal speakers are disabled. I am not sure if that is also true on a Mac mini.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I know on the iMac that if you use the audio output jack the internal speakers are disabled. I am not sure if that is also true on a Mac mini.

Yes, that is correct, and you can't change the audio output back to the speakers either - it just immediately flicks back to headphones.

However, that's fine for me because I use the Griffin iMic for my headphones. If you plug headphones into the mini's headphone socket, the Thunderbolt Display's speakers are disabled. But I can re-select the iMic to use my headphones.

Which means to say: I'll still be able to select either headphones or speakers - only in this case, the speakers are now the Klipsch system. The Thunderbolt Display speakers will be disabled, but I don't want to use them anyway.

I was just wondering if the audio quality would be higher via a USB adaptor.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I was just wondering if the audio quality would be higher via a USB adaptor.
There's a chance is you got a very high end USB sound card that the might would be better. But I'm not sure you would really hear a difference unless you got rather expensive speakers to go with it.

cdrhoek

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2013
The Bose Companion 5 should do what you want. They connect to a USB port and work fine with Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.