Thunderbolt Display and USB speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tekksan, Jan 2, 2013.

1. tekksan macrumors regular

Are there any speakers with subwoofer that you can connect to the Thunderbolt Display via USB so one doesn't have to connect a 3.5mm audio cable to their laptop when 'docking'? Will the USB speakers work via the Thunderbolt Display cable?

2. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

I'd like to know this as well. My next set of speakers will probably be USB, and I'd like to rout them through a Thunderbolt Display. Idk if that will cause any problems or not, because the monitors USB ports are routed through the thunderbolt cable.

3. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

How about picking up a new wireless Bluetooth speaker system instead? HK now has Soundsticks wireless and so does Edifier Prisma for reasonable prices. Both are 2.1 systems with a subwoofer.

4. LaazyEye macrumors regular

Data is data, you should have no more problems using USB speakers on a Thunderbolt Display than you would hooking them up to your laptop directly.

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Mine are connected to an amp which are connected via USB to my TBD.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'm using a $8 USB>headphone port adapter off a hub connected to my TB display. Works great...and have an automator shortcut that switches the input back and forth for me.

7. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Just a bump on this, as I'm looking for something with a subwoofer to go with my TBD.

I've looked at the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks, and also the Edifier Prisma, but apparently the bluetooth is for iPhones/iPads, etc, and doesn't work with Macs.

I have a Mac mini and TBD and am still looking for a solution. Any ideas?

8. Bear macrumors G3

Get the normal Soundsticks (or any wired speakers) and use something like this adapter. I'd actual recommend the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers.

9. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Or you can get a cheap DAC and really improve your sound quality all together.

I have TB display > Fiio e10 > Audioengine a5+

Amazing set up.

10. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Ah, I love Klipsch. We have a small iPod sound system in our kitchen and it is amazing.

I run a Mac mini with this Thunderbolt Display, and apart from the display audio I actually use a Griffin iMic for my headphones, as that allows me to manually switch between the headphones and display output from the Finder menu bar.

Given the Klipsch uses a headphone input port, I could just use the spare headphone port on the back of the Mac mini, right? Is there any advantage to using the USB adaptor?

11. Bear macrumors G3

I know on the iMac that if you use the audio output jack the internal speakers are disabled. I am not sure if that is also true on a Mac mini.

12. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Yes, that is correct, and you can't change the audio output back to the speakers either - it just immediately flicks back to headphones.

However, that's fine for me because I use the Griffin iMic for my headphones. If you plug headphones into the mini's headphone socket, the Thunderbolt Display's speakers are disabled. But I can re-select the iMic to use my headphones.

Which means to say: I'll still be able to select either headphones or speakers - only in this case, the speakers are now the Klipsch system. The Thunderbolt Display speakers will be disabled, but I don't want to use them anyway.

I was just wondering if the audio quality would be higher via a USB adaptor.

13. Bear macrumors G3

There's a chance is you got a very high end USB sound card that the might would be better. But I'm not sure you would really hear a difference unless you got rather expensive speakers to go with it.

14. cdrhoek macrumors newbie

The Bose Companion 5 should do what you want. They connect to a USB port and work fine with Macs.