Thunderbolt Display and Windows PC?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macrumorsuser10, Aug 22, 2011.

1. macrumorsuser10 macrumors 6502

I have new MacBook Pro (with Thunderbolt) and a relatively recent Windows desktop. I'm considering buying the new Thunderbolt Display to replace my Dell 2407 LCD. Can I use the Thunderbolt Display with my Windows desktop?

My Windows box has a 2009 Nvidia 260GT video card, but I'm willing to upgrade that card.

I know that the Apple Cinema Display with Displayport can be used with a Windows box (but may require setting the brightness first on a Mac).

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Google says...

"The company also said there are no plans for a PCIe adapter card for Thunderbolt"

3. macrumorsuser10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Currently, a Windows PC can use a DVI-to-Mini Displayport adapter to use the Apple Cinema Display. I am looking for something similar for Thunderbolt, either a DVI-to-Thunderbolt or DisplayPort-to-Thunderbolt adapter (the latter is useful for some PC video cards that have DisplayPort).

4. thelead macrumors 6502

I would imagine apple will come out with bootcamp drivers. Now, the question is, will you NEED TB or will a mini displayport do?

5. laxman101 macrumors regular

The thunderbolt display does not run off of the minidisplay signal, just the thunderbolt, so you will need a thunderbolt chip to run the thunderbolt display from ur PC

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The short answer is: No.

Long answer: Per Intel, Thunderbolt cannot be added via PCIe card. It requires chipset-level support. So, first, you'll need a new motherboard for your PC. Second, you'll need one that is pin-compatible with Apple's implementation (Sony's is not). And, it'll need video from the graphics card to be routed through the Thunderbolt port. IF all these things happen, then maybe it'll work.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030