Thunderbolt display and xBox one

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nmartin93, May 2, 2014.

1. nmartin93 macrumors newbie

Hi guys, new to the forum.

Just wondering if there is any way to use Apple's Thunderbolt display as a monitor for the xbox one. I have done a little research but the only results I can find are from 6+ months ago and I was hoping there would be a more up to date solution.

If possible, does anyone know if you can use the display without it being plugged into a mac?

Thanks

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

nope, unless you can get an xbox with a thunderbolt port.

3. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Don't think so but if anything you would need a thunderbolt dock with an HDMI in port but I don't know if they exist.

4. wuush macrumors member

There is a Thunderbolt Dock with an HDMI Port but i dont think it is a Solution for your Problem, because the dock uses the HDMI Port as Output, not as Input.

But if i'm wrong this would be a Solution to my Problem as well.

http://youtu.be/O1NA-OHAoT4

5. raniel macrumors regular

raniel

6. h9826790, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

No, the thunderbolt port on the display is not compatible with any HDMI / DVI adaptor.

And the CalDigit Thunderbolt Dock's HDMI port is for output to other monitor / TV only, cannot accept input from xbox one.

7. nmartin93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for all the responses people!

Seems like what I wanted cannot be possible. Ill jsut have to think of something else :)

----------

Sorry guys one more question...

Would it be possible to use the thunderbolt port on the back of the thunderbolt display with a minidisplay port to hdmi cable to power another screen?

thankyou in advance

8. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

From memory, the apple FAQ about TB says no.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

That will not work directly from the Thunderbolt Display output port - however, if you go from the Thunderbolt display to another Thunderbolt device (dock, disk, etc.) and then plug a mDP>HDMI converter into that device, it will work (assuming your Mac can support dual external displays; e.g. not an older MacBook Air)

10. JACKFROST4U macrumors newbie

xbox one to 27 inch mac

I am currently using the xbox one and an Imac 27 inch for the display. You have to use the 2009 or 2010 models with this cable:

http://www.kanexlive.com/xd

I don't think you can do it with just a straight 27 inch thunderbolt display;but this cable says it will work for the cinema displays 24 & 27 inch.

----------

Just to add the highest resolution is 720p. It looks great. (especially playing titan fall) :D

11. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

that adaptor only works with a mini display port monitor or like yours, an older iMac model, it won't work with a thunderbolt display and there are no anything to thunderbolt port adapter.

OP: as great as Apple displays are, there are other monitors out there that have multiple inputs

12. JoeyCloverfield, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014

JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

Just to add to FreakinEurekan's point, the first MacBook Air capable of powering two external displays is the Mid-2012 model. You can see other Mac's compatibility here: support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#18

Also, here's the source for what he said about it not working if the HDMI monitor is plugged directly to the ATD: support.apple.com/kb/HT5219#24