Thunderbolt Display/Apple TV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nickwell24, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

Just throwing this out there, curious of the response. The Thunderbolt Display is painfully old, USB 2.0 technology on a $1k display is highway robbery these days. I've read many posts of people wanting the update to include USB 3.0 and a higher resolution, which seems fairly obvious. What if Apple took the Thunderbolt Display closer to the iTV market...

Add certain features for connectivity mainly HDMI and Optical Audio - pairing it perfectly with the AppleTV. With the built in iSight Camera and Microphone the Display could easily merge the functionality of an Xbox Connect - "AppleTV go to Netflix" anybody?? This also would really challenge Dell, who's main advantage is matte screens and of course tons of connection options.

If Apple came out with something similar to this, even with the same resolution that's currently in the TBD (ha, just realizing Thunderbolt Display and To Be Determined share acronyms... fitting giving it's erratic update status huh?).. Anyways, if Apple did come out with this I could easily see multiple people replacing their HDTV and Computer monitors to simplify their setup to one screen. What is the communities thoughts on this?

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I have high hopes to see a TBD refresh when the retina iMacs hit the market (which may be sooner than we thing thanks to some 10.10 code hints). As far as a TV replacement, might not be so for me. I usually have my tv on in the background while I work on my computer. Give me one display for two tasks, well that wont really suit me since I could do one OR the other, but not both at once.

Though if the price and specs of this hypothetical TV capable TBD seemed to correlate, I probably would buy one as an additional screen to have, but not a replacement.