Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Admiralen82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Denmark
Hello Everyone

My first post here. I have searched the forums, both here and on the web for an answer for this.

I'm considering buying a 27" thunderbolt display. And planning to buy a twelve book stand for my rMBP. As i belive the 27" will be sufficient screen real estate for my needs.

I use the macbook for both work and in my spare time. I have windows bootcamp installed on it, as my job requires me to be in a windows environment (Visual Studio). Besides work I use my computer for some photo editing in Lightroom/Photoshop (on OSX) and to play Starcraft 2.

Now my questions are, does anyone have any experience with thunderbolt displays and windows 7, is it a nice and smooth experience (working like intended)?

Can i have the macbook en clamshell mode while connected to the thunderbolt display and not go to sleep(I found the setting in windows power management, and it works fine with my hdmi connected screen.)

Especially when it comes to Starcraft I would like to be able to only use the thunderbolt display, so the GPU can fokus on rendering that screen. I read somewhere it would do so if the macbook was in clamshell mode. Is this true?

Thank you for your time, any answers are much appriciated.

/Admiralen

shantiv

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
Thank you for the answer. I'll be looking for a cheap used TBD or wait for the next generation.

I bought an iMac (January 2013) which has 2 thunderbolt ports. I also run Windows for business purposes (mainly to use Visio) on a MacBook Air.

Unfortunately I can't get the windows session to be displayed on the iMac, using the thunderbolt cable. Would be grateful to receive any config instructions if anybody knows about these (or to know about additional drivers required)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.