Thunderbolt display - Cable not long enough

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macpro2000, Jan 30, 2014.

1. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Last week I hooked up a new iMac to 2 new Thunderbolts...one on each side. The cable on the left Thunderbolt only had a couple of inches give when plugging into the iMac in the middle. I took them all back because I couldn't stand the glare and the lower height on the Thunderbolts, and decided to get a new Mac Pro instead so I could hook up 4 of them. One problem: the cord wouldn't be long enough to hook up 4 Thunderbolts unless the Mac Pro is set up in the middle with 4 screens circling it. If I set them up on my desk, there is no way for the cables to reach. Crazy. Now some may say that there is a 6' mdp cable that you could hook up but then you lose all functionality of the ports on the back, the whole point of the Thunderbolt display. Apple needs to make a Thunderbolt display cable extender...but it appears it doesn't exist.

2. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

I actually agree with this.... 120% and I only have one display.

3. ABCDEF-Hex, Jan 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2014

ABCDEF-Hex macrumors 6502

ABCDEF-Hex

Are these decent?

http://www.startech.com/Cables/Thunderbolt-Cables/

( 2 year warranty)

4. Johbremat macrumors regular

Is daisy-chaining the displays not an option?

If not all four with a single connection to the Mac Pro, would have thought you'd be able to do 3+1, using only two ports on the machine.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You can do 2+2. The new Mac Pro has three Thunderbolt busses; each will support two Thunderbolt Displays. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5918

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The TB ports on the TB Display go both ways (in and out). Use a 2 meter TB cable plugged in to the Mac then to the display. Use the display's built-in cable to connect to the next peripheral.