Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psyfuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2014
Looking at how aggressively Apple seems to be pushing a 'retina' future on us (rightfully so) I was wondering what the chances of Apple updating their Thunderbolt display were?

As it stands it's resolution is below the rest of Apple's products (sans the MBA and 21" iMac) and it's I/O options are incredibly dated with USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt 1, it greatly needs an update - throw in the high price for a display of it's capabilities and it's not too solid a deal (I could buy 2 Dell U2515H 1400p monitors and 2 third-party Thunderbolt 2 hubs for the price of 1 TBD). All in all it's a shame because aesthetically and design wise it' beautiful and fits in so nicely with the rest of the Apple product-line.

Or am I just being optimistic and Apple are quietly trying to fade the product out of it's line and leaving the monitor business?

Thoughts?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
September will be a good time to find out. With the intro of Skylake CPUs and chips for TB3 plus USB-C physical ports, Apple has bandwidth and connectors for external 5K monitors and docking station if they want to do a new ATD.

While we can have our wants and guesses about a new ATD, those will not change whatever Apple has decided to do or not do. If no ATD in September, forget about it and move on to a Dell or other 5K monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.