Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Hi Y'all i went ahead an bought a thunderbolt display so i could make a triple monitor setup in anticipation of my nMP...my 2 other already existing displays came over from an old mac pro and the colors seem to be way different and with just minutes of use together i got irritated with it. The new thunderbolt display has a reddish tint and my cinema display were more balanced but went a little more into the blue but subtle.

Question is have you guys noticed this? or should i do an exchange? or is it true that no two panels are the same?

Last edited:

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
The title of this thread is very misleading. By not making the unit of measure as English units and adding a "s" to Cinema making it plural we are to believe that you are talking about 27 different Cinemas and not a single 27" Cinema.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So is the reddish tint all over the screen? If the panel is consistent then it is fine. Just calibrate all three monitors using an i1 Display Pro or ColorMunki Photo. You can also calibrate your iPad or iPhone with them as well now (according to a newsletter I got from Xrite), but I haven't tried it yet to comment.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
So is the reddish tint all over the screen? If the panel is consistent then it is fine. Just calibrate all three monitors using an i1 Display Pro or ColorMunki Photo. You can also calibrate your iPad or iPhone with them as well now (according to a newsletter I got from Xrite), but I haven't tried it yet to comment.

If i make a plain white image full screen it appears to be red all over. I did not know you could calibrate that out of the display. I would always just hope i didnt have extreme blues or reds on my displays. Im going to look into calibrating.

----------

Holy Smokes those Calibrating Softwares are expensive. Arent there icc profiles on the internet or is calibrating something that has to be written onto the display logic board?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
If i make a plain white image full screen it appears to be red all over. I did not know you could calibrate that out of the display. I would always just hope i didnt have extreme blues or reds on my displays. Im going to look into calibrating.

----------

Holy Smokes those Calibrating Softwares are expensive. Arent there icc profiles on the internet or is calibrating something that has to be written onto the display logic board?

To do it properly you need to use an actual device to calibrate your screen. You only need to do it every month or so. You could always go half's with a friend.

But to be honest you have a new nMP on the way, and 3 27" screens. You can't be short of cash!

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
I just sent one back for light bleed:mad:

All my monitors have light bleed on the lower right corner..When i brought my first display i RMA'd it like 3 times but there was no perfect one so i said F it and just kept it.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
To do it properly you need to use an actual device to calibrate your screen. You only need to do it every month or so. You could always go half's with a friend.

But to be honest you have a new nMP on the way, and 3 27" screens. You can't be short of cash!

What happens after a month does the calibration wear off or something?

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
All my monitors have light bleed on the lower right corner..When i brought my first display i RMA'd it like 3 times but there was no perfect one so i said F it and just kept it.

Mine was right bottom corner and up the right side. Was bad for movies/tv.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Mine was right bottom corner and up the right side. Was bad for movies/tv.

Most ips displays are. A 2013 imac my brother owns has the minimalist light bleed ive ever seen on am ips but there was still some light bleed.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Most ips displays are. A 2013 imac my brother owns has the minimalist light bleed ive ever seen on am ips but there was still some light bleed.

Yeah my old 09 iMac had it but i didn't want to wear it for a $1199 display here in Australia.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
What happens after a month does the calibration wear off or something?

Lol no. All panels drift. You have to calibrate them at regular intervals to keep them correct. However they won't drift that much, and you don't seem that bothered about criticle colour (sorry I don't actually know what you are using the setup for). You could just borrow one and get them right to begin with. Do you know a photographer? They may well have one.

RoastingPig

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
SoCal
Lol no. All panels drift. You have to calibrate them at regular intervals to keep them correct. However they won't drift that much, and you don't seem that bothered about criticle colour (sorry I don't actually know what you are using the setup for). You could just borrow one and get them right to begin with. Do you know a photographer? They may well have one.

I don't do photography i just spend a lot of time on the computer. My Question is spyder4pro or the colormunki? after reading up on calibration and seeing that anandtech calibrates all his screens i think im going to start too. Which has the best wizard? also is the software free online and all you need is the little sensor thing? or does it have a serial number with cd? because i see some used sensor only online for a lot cheaper.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I don't do photography i just spend a lot of time on the computer. My Question is spyder4pro or the colormunki? after reading up on calibration and seeing that anandtech calibrates all his screens i think im going to start too. Which has the best wizard? also is the software free online and all you need is the little sensor thing? or does it have a serial number with cd? because i see some used sensor only online for a lot cheaper.

You can download the software for free for the colormunki. Not sure about the Spyder. The colormunki wizard is so easy to use. Thats the one I use the most. (I just borrow them from work so I have used the i1 Display Pro as well).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.