Thunderbolt display confirmed working on a PC!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ashok0, May 11, 2012.

1. Ashok0 macrumors regular

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Nice, soon i might buy one of those and build a small pc for just games and such and still get to use my sweet 27" iMac as display.

3. dkersten macrumors 6502a

The best part about this is not that the Apple Thunderbolt Display works. The best part is was it potentially means to lightpeak/thunderbolt as a technology. Personally I don't want to see thunderbolt go the way of firewire. PC manufactures adopting thunderbolt means that so will peripheral manufactures, leading to cheaper storage, display, video card, etc. solutions. This will hopefully lead to a widespread adoption of thunderbolt, which is good because I personally think it is much superior technology compared to USB 3.0

4. ultimato macrumors newbie

Have you tried this yet? One thing is that it works with the Thunderbolt Cinema Display, but does it indeed work with the TB iMac in target display mode?

5. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

No i haven't come around to it yet. But why wouldn't it work, it should be the same as connecting a macbook to the iMac. I don't se how the iMac could differ a pc thunderbolt source from a mac one. :confused:

6. hallee macrumors newbie

I bought a Thunderbolt motherboard for my gaming rig, and tried using my 2011 iMac in target display mode. It doesn't seem to work.

If anybody has gotten this to work, please let me know what you did and what your PC motherboard is. For reference, here's mine.

7. xmk macrumors newbie

Same as i bought Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH and try to work it in TDM with 2011 iMac and it don't, event worse IMac went to sleep mode and don't wake up till reboot.... wherever i tried i think its some software issue in 2011 iMac's with TDM and non apple thunderbolt devices