Thunderbolt Display different SKU

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dec., Mar 24, 2013.

1. dec. Suspended

dec.

We've bought two thunderbolt displays today. After going to Staples where they tried to sell us a 2 y/o floor model for $949 (Staples has been selling Apple in Canada for a long time already) without warranty (?! they said it was already activated with Apple when they set it up as floor model?! Is that common practise?) - we went to Best Buy, they had 3 in stock, one was a return, the other two brand new, although he noticed that one was the full price $999, the other was on clearance for $899, the only difference is the SKU number

The one on clearance is MC914LL/A while their current model is MC914LL/B

I did some basic research and so far came across the difference either being an included MagSafe adapter - which is not the case, both boxes contained the adapter - or the change to a Cactus Thunderbolt chip. Obviously I can't check that, so do any of you guys know what the REAL difference is between the two, as so far it seems like a really lucky deal to me.

2. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

There's no actual difference. The updated SKU has a different box (rMBP + Mountain Lion wallpaper instead of MBA + Lion wallpaper) and comes with the MagSafe adapter. The actual screen is exactly the same. I ran into issues with this when Fry's had the "old" SKU marked down to $799, but the new one was full price. Of course they only had the "new" models in stock. I argued with them that they were the same model but they wouldn't budge, so I went to Best Buy and had them price match the Fry's price. :p

3. dec. thread starter Suspended

dec.

Thanks for the reply - as a matter of fact both boxes did contain the MagSafe adapter! Either way it was a lucky find in that case I suppose...

Still shaking my head at the Staples guy trying to sell us one for $50 off and without any warranty at all (as it was "registered as active with Apple 2 years ago")