Thunderbolt Display + Gaming on Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Melankolic, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Melankolic macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering picking up a Thunderbolt Display for my Macbook Air; and I was wondering how well the Air manages with gaming on a Thunderbolt display?

If the game runs well on the Air, will it be a smooth transmission over to the thunderbolt display and run just as good? Or does generating a higher resolution and 'transmitting' constant data put an added strain on the Air?

Hopefully someone with experaince can help me here as I've done a few web searches etc and can't find any example/reviews of gaming on an air with a thunderbolt display (only general reviews).

Thanks in advance and for reading.

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Higher the resolution the harder it is. Do not really think about gaming on the Air at native res, let alone TBD res.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

You will probably have to close the MBA screen so its only rendering 1 screen, but it should be fine. I played Portal 2 on my MBA on a second display at 1280x720 and it ran fine. I wouldn't recommend trying to play at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440....as it probably won't be able to push that hard.

I play games on the native display at 1280x720, you don't notice any loss in quality and it runs a lot better than native.

4. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I play Starcraft 2 on a 1920x1200 display at low-medium settings.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Older, less intensive games should run just fine at full res.