Thunderbolt Display + Gaming on Air

Melankolic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering picking up a Thunderbolt Display for my Macbook Air; and I was wondering how well the Air manages with gaming on a Thunderbolt display?

If the game runs well on the Air, will it be a smooth transmission over to the thunderbolt display and run just as good? Or does generating a higher resolution and 'transmitting' constant data put an added strain on the Air?

Hopefully someone with experaince can help me here as I've done a few web searches etc and can't find any example/reviews of gaming on an air with a thunderbolt display (only general reviews).

Thanks in advance and for reading.

MattZani

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2008
UK
Higher the resolution the harder it is. Do not really think about gaming on the Air at native res, let alone TBD res.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering picking up a Thunderbolt Display for my Macbook Air; and I was wondering how well the Air manages with gaming on a Thunderbolt display?

If the game runs well on the Air, will it be a smooth transmission over to the thunderbolt display and run just as good? Or does generating a higher resolution and 'transmitting' constant data put an added strain on the Air?

Hopefully someone with experaince can help me here as I've done a few web searches etc and can't find any example/reviews of gaming on an air with a thunderbolt display (only general reviews).

Thanks in advance and for reading.
You will probably have to close the MBA screen so its only rendering 1 screen, but it should be fine. I played Portal 2 on my MBA on a second display at 1280x720 and it ran fine. I wouldn't recommend trying to play at 1920x1080 or 2560x1440....as it probably won't be able to push that hard.

I play games on the native display at 1280x720, you don't notice any loss in quality and it runs a lot better than native.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.