Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangfj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Hey Guys, I posted this on the discussions board at Apple but thought I'd take a shot here too because I didn't get much traction over there...

I'm having problems connecting my TBD via the gigabit ethernet port on the display. Every time I connect a cable it connects at 100 MB and not at the max 1 GB speed. I have the TBD connected to my latest gen iMac and both are connected to a gigabit switch (Netgear GS108tv1 which is connected to a Apple Airport Extreme latest gen). The iMac ethernet connection is getting a 1GB connection link speed but the TBD is only getting 100 MB. I've tried connecting several different cables (cat5e and cat6) and no matter what I try it only gets 100 MB.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Are there any settings I can look at in network preferences?

I find it strange that every other device connected to my switch gets a gigabit connection speed but the TBD is only getting a 100MB connection...

Thanks!

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
1. Try to swab the cables. It may sound silly, but some older cables may cause problems.
2. It could be that the TBD does not supply the adaptor with enough energy, try to attach it to a Mac directly and see what happens.
3. try another port on your gigabit-switch
4. check system preferences for settings on half/full duplex and/or gigabit ethernet mode (yes there is a setting for that)

tangfj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
1. Try to swab the cables. It may sound silly, but some older cables may cause problems.

- I tried this using 2 CAT6 cables both were able to get gigabit on other devices and same port... Also tried a CAT5e cable. Nothing changed...

2. It could be that the TBD does not supply the adaptor with enough energy, try to attach it to a Mac directly and see what happens.

- Tried this and was able to get gigabit speeds on the same port/cable

3. try another port on your gigabit-switch

- Tried this, same result... 100MB

4. check system preferences for settings on half/full duplex and/or gigabit ethernet mode (yes there is a setting for that)

I tried this and switched the settings to 1000baseT, full duplex, flow-control, Standard (1500) and when I tried these manual settings, the network status said that the cable was unplugged. The only setting that worked (I tried a ton of different settings) was 100baseTX.

I even tried using a different switch and still got the same results... TBD only connects at 100MB.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
take a flashlight and look inside the jack, GigE requires all 8 pins, 100Mb only 4, it's possible one has gotten knocked or isn't popping up like it should.

tangfj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
No. I meant attaching the adaptor directly to your Mac and not switching ports on your TBD. :)

I'm not sure what you mean... I'm not using an adaptor for gigabit ethernet on the TBD. There is a gigabit ethernet port directly on the TBD... there is nothing to disconnect and attach to my mac other than the ethernet cable itself.

mayuka

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2009
I'm not sure what you mean... I'm not using an adaptor for gigabit ethernet on the TBD. There is a gigabit ethernet port directly on the TBD... there is nothing to disconnect and attach to my mac other than the ethernet cable itself.

Oh. Okay. I thought you are using the TB -> Gig.Ethernet Adaptor...

Cleaning the contacts and looking that every pin is at the right point and bended somehow would be the last idea I'd have....

tangfj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Well, I looked at all the pins/etc and everything looks like it should be ok. The problem has gotten worse, however... now the display almost never connects even though I have a cable inserted. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to the genius bar!

helveta

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
I don't know if this is related or not. My TBD ethernet stopped working at some point in the last year, and I couldn't figure out why. It was only 100Mb because the building is wired with cat 5. I plugged the cable into my 2011 MBA using the TB to ethernet adapter and still couldn't connect. Our tech support came (when I was out) and checked out the connection and said it was good on their PC.

This week I upgraded to a new 2013 MBA and set it up by restoring my time machine backup. I just went into network settings to check out some of the suggestions in this thread and I see that the TBD ethernet connection is working, at 100Mb, but still its much better than it had been over the airport express. I thought the improvement was due to the better wireless in the new MBA, but apparently there was some problem with the ethernet in the old MBA.

tangfj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2008
Well... I took it to the genius bar and they think it's the logic board in the display so they are going to replace it with a new one... hopefully when it comes back everything will be in working order.

lesliesj715

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
Hey Guys, I posted this on the discussions board at Apple but thought I'd take a shot here too because I didn't get much traction over there...

I'm having problems connecting my TBD via the gigabit ethernet port on the display. Every time I connect a cable it connects at 100 MB and not at the max 1 GB speed. I have the TBD connected to my latest gen iMac and both are connected to a gigabit switch (Netgear GS108tv1 which is connected to a Apple Airport Extreme latest gen). The iMac ethernet connection is getting a 1GB connection link speed but the TBD is only getting 100 MB. I've tried connecting several different cables (cat5e and cat6) and no matter what I try it only gets 100 MB.

Do any of you have any suggestions? Are there any settings I can look at in network preferences?

I find it strange that every other device connected to my switch gets a gigabit connection speed but the TBD is only getting a 100MB connection...

Thanks!
[doublepost=1552070517][/doublepost]Have you tried changing the ethernet setting in hardware-speed to 1000baseT?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
[doublepost=1552070517][/doublepost]Have you tried changing the ethernet setting in hardware-speed to 1000baseT?
Have you tried looking at the date?
the original problem (and last post) was 5 1/2 years ago?

And he posted the Genius Bar thought it was the logic board and they were going to swap it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.