Thunderbolt display issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by furqan8421, Aug 26, 2012.

1. furqan8421 macrumors member

I'm not sure if the issue is the thunderbolt display, my early 2011 macbook pro, or due to mountain lion. I only noticed the issue after installing 10.8.1 but obviously it could be coincidence as well

When my laptop is plugged in, the sound comes through the macbook speakers (with lid closed) and not thunderbolt display as previously done. The ethernet port on the thunderbolt display shows it is not connected, and anything connected through the usb ports on the thunderbolt display show as not connected to the macbook

When the macbook is NOT connected, the usb port on the display will start charging my iPad/iphone but this does NOT happen while computer is plugged in.

USB ports on macbook work if something is plugged directly into them.

I may take it to genius bar next weekend but hoping someone can help me out until then so I can avoid taking all of this to the store

----------

Should note that video does seem fine

Other issue is that with lid closed, if i press a key on my bluetooth keyboard the macbook will momentarily wake, and then after a few seconds go back to sleep without showing anything on the thunderbolt display

For the display to show an image, I must open the lid of the macbook, unplug/replug the thunderbolt cable to the display, wait for the "second display" to show up on the thunderbolt screen, and then close my lid for the thunderbolt to become the "primary display"

Previously all I had to do was press a button on keyboard and computer would wake as if the thunderbolt display was the only display available.

2. furqan8421 thread starter macrumors member

Just to update, after browsing the apple forums it seems the problem is due to a logic board that needs to be replaced. Thankfully still within a year so should have warranty support.

Also hoping the apple store won't give too much of a hassle when taking my monitor in, would like to have the issue taken care of as soon as possible