thunderbolt display issues

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by stevey69, Sep 21, 2011.

1. stevey69, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

stevey69 macrumors regular

okay , so when i connect the mb air 2011 13" , and if my laptop is open... the max resolution i seem to be getting is 2048x1152. when i close my laptop, i get the full thunderbolt resolution of 2560x1440 . the question is... why ? why can't i keep my laptop open for better venting and still enjoy this full resolution on the display? why do i have to clamshell it? also, when i play games... it seems to stutter... but when i play them on my mba , they work flawless... is it that the air can't handle a crazy resolution like this? please help.

not to mention, my display just happened to turn off randomly. WHATS GOING ON APPLE?

2. Toonbay macrumors 6502

Toonbay

Whitley Bay, North East UK (God's Country)
    Have you done the software update.

I ran my mba for update the night before i get my TB display as i knew there had been updates as i had installed one a few nights ago but in said all was up to date.

As soon as i coonected the TB display i ran the software update and it said a TB update was available so installed that and have had no problems at all

Hopefully thats all you need to do if you have not already

3. stevey69 thread starter macrumors regular

i did the update the moment my thunderbolt was connected. but why does my laptop have to be shut for me to enjoy the full resolution??

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It might be an issue with the Intel GMA 3000 graphics processor, where it can't drive muliple displays with too many pixels when summed up. Could also be a bug, or just some issue with your particular Lion OS install.

It's hard to say for sure, really.

5. richlee111 macrumors regular

I might be wrong, but do you have the external monitor set to Mirror? In the display settings, there is a checkbox for "Mirror Display." If that is checked, then the external will display a lower resolution to match the laptop display.