Thunderbolt Display + LED Cinema display with hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mgartner0622, Apr 17, 2013.

1. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

So, I was reading about how you can't connect a displayport device to a thunderbolt display and have it work.
    However, I have a 27" LED cinema display as well as a Thunderbolt display.
    If I were to spend the money on a thunderbolt hub, could I connect and use both displays off of it (attached to November 2011 MacBook Pro 15")
    Thanks!

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

You'd plug the Thunderbolt display directly into your Mac - then the "hub" or other Thunderbolt device into the TBD - then your cinema display into the intermediate Thunderbolt device.

As far as a device that you plug into the Mac, which gives you two (or more) output Thunderbolt ports - I've never seen one. If you find one, then you can check with the manufacturer as to whether it'll do what you're asking.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Above is correct. What you'll do it connect the Thunderbolt display to your Macbook. Then with the extra Thunderbolt port on the Thunderbolt Display, plug in the hub. Then plug the cinema display to the extra port on the hub. There aren't any devices that have more than one extra port on them because TB inherently cannot be "hubbed" like a USB hub. Just Daisy-chained.

4. mgartner0622 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

6. carestudio macrumors 6502

not sure about the laptop that you have but it is possible to do that for two monitors. Getting a thunderbolt dock is always nice withe some extra usb3, hdmi and ethernet capability. caldigit and belkin both are releasing good docks. Belkin is taking preoerder now and caldigit has launched the page for waiting list and should ship them shortly too
    http://www.caldigit.com/register/waitlist.asp?PID=CalDigit Thunderbolt Station

both are very nice choices.

7. GenevaGuy, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

GenevaGuy macrumors newbie

Connecting TDB Display and Apple Cinema Display via Thunderbolt doct

Based on the discussions and recommendations on this thread, I purchased the Caldigit Thunderbolt station.

I wanted to connect my 11 Macbook Air to both a 27" Apple TDB display as well as an Apple Cinema Display. Unfortunately this setup didn't work with my Macbook Air (mid 2011). However it did work with a friend's 11 Macbook Air (mid 2013). So it would seem the graphics card on the 2011 Macbook Air doesn't have the capability of lighting up the second monitor. I found more information on daisy-chained TB displays provided here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5219#18

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Correct, the 2011 MacBook Air can't drive dual external displays directly. You can use a USB to DVI adapter for a 2nd display as a work-around; performance is OK for some purposes but would not suggest using that for graphically intensive tasks.