Thunderbolt Display loopthrough?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by HiRez, Jul 29, 2011.

1. HiRez, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Looking at the pictures of this thing, I only see a single Thunderbolt port on it. I thought one of the advantages of Thunderbolt was that it would be easily daisy-chainable without loss of performance. Why build this peripheral with all these ports and then not put a loop through port on it? I know you could probably buy yet another box to give you another port, but when you're dropping a grand on a peripheral, I don't feel like you should have to. Surely many people who buy this monitor are design pros who also want to use a fast (Thunderbolt) hard drive...assuming they ever show up.

Or am I missing something?

EDIT: Think I solved the mystery. It appears there is a cable built into the display (the split cable carrying magsafe power and Thunderbolt to/from the laptop, leaving the TB port on the display available for chaining other devices. Seems odd to build a cable into the display though, if that's really the case. If something goes wrong with the cable, you have to ship the whole beast back? Also, the cable looks to bit a bit awkward for the new Airs, which have the TB and power ports on opposite sides. Would be better if they'd put them next to each other like on the MacBook Pros.

2. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

It could be the display goes on the end of the loop. And/or, the display pugs into the Mac and any then the displays extra port is used for the rest of the loop.