Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi,

Today I was using my MBP and Thunderbolt Display just fine. I go downstairs, have dinner, wake the computer from sleep and suddenly it isn't working.

The computer will recognise it - sound plays, and you can move your cursor to it - but no picture displays, just a black screen.

I tried restarting, unplugging, plugging back in but alas it does not work.

I have a feeling that this is a hardware problem, andI bought it in December 2011 so have no warranty left. :( Am I covered by Section 14 of the UK's Sales of Goods Act?

I'm really, really disappointed because the display was fantastic to use, and just like that it stops working. Annoying to say the least.

Can anyone help?!

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Apple Care on it? Did you use Amex or other card that gives extended warranty?

Will the MBP display on its own screen? What happens when the ATD is connected?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Apple Care on it? Did you use Amex or other card that gives extended warranty?

Will the MBP display on its own screen? What happens when the ATD is connected?

AppleCare - unfortunately not. Will have to check whether it was bought on a credit/debit card.

The MBP appears fine - it runs completely as normal as if the TBD was connected, with external drives, audio etc, but a black TBD. :(

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Take both the MBP and ATD to your local Apple store and ask them to check out the problem. If worse comes to worse...they can have the ATD diagnosed and give you a repair estimate.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Take both the MBP and ATD to your local Apple store and ask them to check out the problem. If worse comes to worse...they can have the ATD diagnosed and give you a repair estimate.

...aaaand working again.

It's very temperamental for a £1k display :(

tnelawyer

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2010
Any news?

My ATD sometimes requires that I start up my MPB before it will work properly. Any idea why? What happened with your at genius bar?

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
My ATD sometimes requires that I start up my MPB before it will work properly. Any idea why? What happened with your at genius bar?

Basically, I explained the issue then plugged it in to try and demonstrate it... And it worked like a charm :(

Will book another one soon and have recorded a video of the issue - hopefully that's enough.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

I took it back in today - luckily, it displayed (no pun intended!) the issue I'd been having.

After explaining to the Genius the Sales of Goods Act for the UK (not sure if you're based in the UK or not), they went and checked and said they'd replace the logic board in it, even though it was out of warranty.

It would've cost me £780!... Hopefully should all be working when I pick it up next week.

jamswirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Just came across this thread. I've just dropped my thunderbolt display off to the service centre with exactly the same issue. Took a video of the screen losing its image with sound still going. I also noticed a dead pixel the other day too which they're taking a look at. Fortunately it's still under warranty. Am interested in whether they fix or replace it if it's a logic board and screen replacement.

Will post back when i hear what's going to happen with it.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Just came across this thread. I've just dropped my thunderbolt display off to the service centre with exactly the same issue. Took a video of the screen losing its image with sound still going. I also noticed a dead pixel the other day too which they're taking a look at. Fortunately it's still under warranty. Am interested in whether they fix or replace it if it's a logic board and screen replacement.

Will post back when i hear what's going to happen with it.

The only two options on the Genius's iPad that I saw were screen replacement or logic board replacement, so I'm not sure whether they'd replace both or just give you a new one!

Mine has just had a new logic board fitted, the store is going to test the monitor for a few days before I can pick it up. Hopefully should be at the weekend. Also, they said that if it went wrong again that I could take it back and swap for a new one, which at least provides extra 'insurance' should the issue come back!

jamswirl

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
So, the problem with my display was the IO cable attached to screen. The logic board is fine. SO, they are replacing the LCD panel and IO cable. Here's hoping it fixes it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.