thunderbolt display only working with thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by No-Me, May 25, 2012.

1. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I've owned a 27" Thunderbolt display for a couple of months now. It's attached to my 15" MacBook Pro. As I've lend my MacBook Pro to a friend who needs it for a project I thought I would be able to hook my MacBook Air (11" Rev A without thunderbolt) to the display, but it doesn't do anything.

Too bad that Apple didn't make this a "backwards" compatible display. I suggested my father to get a TB display to be more future-proof as he doesn't have a TB MacBook Pro yet. Glad I found this out before he actually bought it ;-)

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you need to connect the display to non-Thunderbolt devices, the best thing is to buy the standard 27" Cinema Display with a mini-DisplayPort connector.

3. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

It does state in the specs that you need a thunderbolt compatible Mac.

http://www.apple.com/uk/displays/specs.html

As suggested above the cinema display is a better option if you want to connect to both types of Mac.

4. No-Me thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, but normally I would not use the display with the MBA.
    It's just a bit silly that the TB display has better specs (iSight & sound) but that the old display is the same price.

:)

5. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

Why doesn't someone make an adaptor?

It would probably have to split off into mini display port + USB + 3.5mm audio.

I'm sure that would be a huge seller. Heck if you made it white with gray accents apple might put it in the stores.

6. MSUSpartan macrumors 6502

Just came to this realization... I didn't even know Apple still sells the regular cinema display from its website. I bought the Thunderbolt Display figuring it would work with my mid-2010 MBP... sigh, now I have to return it and decide if I want to spend the same $1,000 on a cinema display without any of the new technology...

7. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

It pro Bly best to sell your MBP. TBD is worth it as it a docking station. Only 2 wires to plug!

8. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I have to admit I love how neat my desk is with the MBP and TBD together.