Thunderbolt Display or iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jgould, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jgould macrumors regular

Ok, So I'm in the market to add some screen real estate to my 2011 13" MBP in the near future as I'm going back to school and would like to have as many pixels as I can afford. I'm currently looking between the 27" Thunderbolt display, and a 21" iMac in Target Display mode.

The Thunderbolt display adds a whole lot of pixels to the mix, and I would use the MBP in Closed Clamshell Mode and drive the display as the sole display, but the size may be prohibitive as it may be a bit big to fit on my desk.

Adding a base model 21" iMac will allow me to completely devote my 2007 Mac Mini to server duty, retain a desktop for those times when I don't feel like pulling my MBP out of my bag, and in reality, for only $200 more, I add another computer.

I need to get into an Apple Store and look at both of the options in the store and try to decide which route to go. Currently, I'm using a 19" Acer monitor that runs at 1440x900 when I'm at my desk. When I get back into school, I anticipate that the extra real estate would be useful...

Any thoughts?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The 21" iMacs do not support target display mode, so it looks like the TB display is your answer.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

That, or a cheaper, smaller display, it doesn't need to have the apple logo on it to function properly you know.

4. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'm well aware of that, it just appeared the OP had one of the two in mind.

5. jgould thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...

This article seems to indicate otherwise: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Thunderbolt/10.6/en/30822.html It specifies an iMac, and then subsequently specifies the 27" iMac. As of right now, there are only two display sizes available for the iMac so I'm thinking that the 21" with TB will act as a display...

----------

I understand that, but I'm also trying to get the most bang for my buck. Apple's displays are excellent, and as a amateur photographer, I would like to have the image on the screen look as close as what I saw when I took my picture. I get headaches when I use the Dell displays we have at work because they aren't crisp...

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Interesting. I hadn't heard anything otherwise, so I figured it was the same. I don't have one to test though, so perhaps someone who owns one could chime in.

7. jgould thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I just got off the phone with Apple, the 21" iMac does not support Target Display Mode, only the 27" model does. I guess I have my answer now...