Thunderbolt Display OUT to DVI?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rtphokie, Jul 2, 2012.

1. rtphokie macrumors newbie

Anyone solved this issue yet? I've got a MBP connected to a Thunderbolt Display. I'd like to make use of a HP monitor which has DisplayPort and DVI ports available.

The Thunderbolt Display manually specifically states that the thunderbolt port on the back is not compatible with DVI, DisplayPort, VGA, etc. Any figure a way around this? Is there an adapter which strips out the non-display information? I've seen some speculation about using a thunderbolt enabled HD between the Thunderbolt Display and a monitor connected via DVI but haven't seen anyone actually get it working.

[​IMG]

2. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

I believe the TB to DVI adapter is what you're looking for. You can use a DVI monitor on a TB port but not a TB monitor on a DVI port.

3. CWallace, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I was unable to get a DisplayPort to DVI cable that I used with a DisplayPort iMac and MacBook Pro to work when plugged into a Thunderbolt iMac, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, but I am not sure if that was a physical limitation or if the cable wasn't of the proper spec.

I have had no problems with Thunderbolt to HDMI and Thunderbolt to VGA cables.

Thunderbolt to DisplayPort does work, just not when it is directly driven from an Apple Thunderbolt port. If you connect the Apple Thunderbolt port to another Thunderbolt device (like a HDD enclosure) and then connect the DisplayPort cable to that device, it does work. MacWorld Magazine was able to drive an Apple Cinema Display (which uses DisplayPort) by connecting it to a Promise RAID enclosure and then connecting the RAID enclosure to the Apple Thunderbolt Display: http://www.macworld.com/article/1162365/first_look_apple_thunderbolt_display.html