Thunderbolt display performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adsfgk, Mar 2, 2013.

1. adsfgk macrumors newbie

I need a laptop for work and I'm deciding between two setups:

1. 27" iMac (for home) + 11"/13" MacBook Air
    2. 13"/15" Retina MacBook Pro + Thunderbolt display (for home)

The large display at home would mostly be used for things like Netflix and (light) gaming, and I'm just wondering how well the rMBPs (particularly the 13" model) do this while driving a thunderbolt display.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you forget about the gaming part, the TB display is beautiful.

The HD4000 isn't really suited to any kind of gaming, apart from older games or slightly more recent ones at a very low graphics setting. Put an external display in the equations and well...

3. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

I had both of the setups you're describing.

I found that when I had an iMac and Air combo, I was having a hard time keeping track of what files I had on each computer. It wasn't a huge deal by any means, but it was slightly inconvenient.

I also found myself wishing I had a more powerful machine (than an Air) at certain times. For example, my 13" Air couldn't handle the highest quality Slingbox stream. Again, not a big deal, bit slightly annoying.

Now I'm using dual TB displays with a 15" Retina and it's a great combo. It all but eliminates the issues I mentioned above. Just my two cents.

4. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

We have many people in our office running 2011 airs with TB displays and they work perfectly, for office work. My rMBP 15 also runs great.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I always hate trying to keep multiple machines in sync so I prefer a high powered laptop connected to a decent display(s). The 15" is going to have much better graphics performance. If it were me, I would go with the 5" with the TBD.