Thunderbolt Display Poor Quality/Compare before buying

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jayfire124, May 8, 2013.

1. jayfire124 macrumors member

I recently purchased a 2012 Thunderbolt equipped Mac Mini and had it upgraded with a 240 Gb SSD in addition to the internal hard drive. I was looking forward to getting the 27" Thunderbolt diaplay to pair it to. I finely got the money together and bought one yesterday and had to wait til last night to set it up.

WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT !!!!!

I was taken aback when viewing it alongside my 2008 iMac 24". The 'whites' on my iMac were truly "white" as opposed to the blue hue on the new 'expensive' Thunderbolt Display. I got up this morning and switched everything back on to re evaluate what I had seen last night. On closer inspection and viewing the Mac Rumours front page, the blue tint at the top remained blue all the way from the top to bottom rather than fading to white. I then opened the Apple.Com page and could clearly see that the left hand side of the display had a serious blue hint which went to "white ish" on the far right of the screen.

I packaged it back up and returned it to the apple reseller who promptly took it to the engineers upstairs behind locked doors. Whilst I walked around the store I checked the other Displays that were 'on display' and noticed that the other 2 Thunderbolt Displays were not much better. I then glanced at the new iMac and was immediately blown away at how amazing the screen looked. The "whites' were truly "white' and their was not a hint of blue or a different hue anywhere around the screen. I fell in love with the new iMac and realised what a mistake I may have made by not just purchasing the 27" iMac in the first place.

The sales assistant shortly returned and confirmed that there was something wrong with the brand new out of the box display and offered me a refund which I took. In no time I was grabbing the attention of the other sales assistants who were almost agreeing with my findings re the Thunderbolt displays not being as good as the new iMacs and witnessing the poor light and saturation qualities of the Thunderbolt display.

So what to do know....await a new batch of Thunderbolts and try again, sell my new Mac Mini and buy an iMac, buy a Dell Monitor (although I truly want gloss believe it or not!!!)
    OR
    Buy a second hand 2011 27" iMac and use it as a display through the Thunderbolt ports ???

Anyone feel like I do re the Thunderbolt display and have suffered the same issues ??? Any thoughts ??

Anyone using a 2012 Mac Mini with a 2011 iMac as a Display? Would like to know your experiences with this.??

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

My ATD is great. I do not think this is a systemic problem.

/Jim

3. thaboz macrumors newbie

Last week Apple issued a Thunderbolt update, maybe this would solve your issue.

4. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

If you're picky about screens, getting a "perfect" one is always going to be a PITA... (FWIW most of these displays use the same LG IPS screen)... I don't think there is a right answer, you just have to keep trying... G'luck.

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I don't have a problem with my TBD and I can see the blue fading to white on MR.

I had a Dell 27" U something, the latest version, I forget the exact model number now, and didn't like it at all. The colors seemed flat and muted to me. I switched to the TBD and was amazed at how much better the picture looks to me (others have said it's simply the gloss finish compared to the matte of the Dell, I don't know the exact reason but the TBD is my preferred choice). Do you have an Apple store nearby to go look at their display models? Apple will gladly let you hook up your mini to a new TBD in store to make sure you like the picture quality before you buy that specific unit - at least mine did.

6. EwanMcTeagle macrumors 6502

EwanMcTeagle

I have a similar story behind me - was using Dell U24-something:) It's a class below the U27, nevertheless I also didn't like the muted (I would say milked out) colors of the matte screen. When I changed that for a TBD (refurbished) I was simply blown away - I guess I'm easy to impress:)
    So far so good - besides the USB keyboard problem that's a bit annoying I had 0 issues with the TBD.
    Oh and the USB keyboard thing was easily solved by an old Apple USB extension cable - don't know why, but it works:) Glad I kept that cable around.

7. jayfire124 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all for your responses, great to hear that you have also experienced Dell's matte 'dull' looking muted colours. I too want the ATD very much so bit this is the first time that I have experienced a faulty Apple product from new and it has left a bit of a sour taste I must admit. I only have an Apple Reseller and don't now quite how they would feel about me buying the diaplay, making them take it out of the box there and then in store and hook up my mac mini for fear I am not going to like what I see again.

Another quick question therefore for anyone reading this thread who owns or has experience with the ATD. Did you calibrate the display, if so with which device, or were you happy with it straight out of the box?

Thanks again for responses.

8. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

My ATD looked great straight out of the box, no calibration needed.

As for your buying situation with no local Apple store, it's worth just asking the manager of your local Apple reseller if he is willing to let you open one and hook it up to your mini to see the picture quality before you buy. The worst he can do is say no and you're just back where you are now. I suspect he will be happy to do that for you seeing as that is an expensive item.

The flip side is to ask him exactly what the return policy is if he won't let you test one before buying. Is there a restocking fee? Will you lose money if you don't like the picture and return it?

Amazon also sells them and has a nice return policy, however if it is your choice to return the item and it's not faulty they do charge a restocking fee.