Thunderbolt Display - question and help request

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xyzoptics, Jun 10, 2014.

1. xyzoptics macrumors newbie

xyzoptics

I am wondering if there's been any solid rumors on the Thunderbolt display? It seems like a pretty ridiculous price tag considering the size, USB 2 and resolution. Apple should be announcing a new one soon, right? I haven't been able to dig much up on it anywhere, and judging by the roundup, it looks like there just hasn't been much news. Anyone else find that bizarre?

Anyways - more importantly. I am looking to get a MBA for work and would love to get the thunderbolt display to use as a dock and monitor at my office. Anyone have any advice on arguments to use for that over other options? Budgeting is never fun, so I'm looking to fill my arsenal with more good reasoning... or should I just give up before we start and look to other options?

Any thoughts appreciated!

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

People have been saying that updates should be "soon" for years. I too am waiting on an update to USB3. All I can say is either accept the current version of the TBD which is still very good or be prepared to wait a long and undetermined time.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There really aren't any solid rumors at this point, just a lot of speculation. I use the TBD with my MBA and really like the setup a lot. There are a lot of monitors that are cheaper and maybe even better, but there is currently nothing that allows you to connect one cable to your MBA and have audio video and data/ethernet available on the monitor.

Keep a watch in the Apple refurb store page. There are often TBDa there for a good saving, although I just checked and there are none there now.

If you really need one now, you could always buy it then sell later if Apple comes out with something later.

Just my guess... but I would be surprised if they came out with a new one before we see new Retina MBPs toward the end of this year or so.