Thunderbolt display question I have not seen asked

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Outrigger, May 1, 2012.

1. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I'm going to purchase the TBD either today or tomorrow mainly to use with my mini. Problem is, I currently have 2 x 24 displays on my desk. My mini is on the right side of the displays. I'd like to place the TBD to the left of the displays. Occasionally, I'd like to hook up the TBD to my MBA, but most of the time, it will be hooked up to my mini. Can I buy a separate TB cable connect it to the mini via the TB port on the display? Or is that only going to work if you're daisy chaining something else?

For those that have the TBD, how long (in ft) is the built in cable?

If this question has been asked, please just post a link. Nothing came up in the search.

Thanks in advance everyone.

2. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Not sure why you need a separate TB cable.. You can just move the built-in display cable from Mini to MBA, when you want to use MBA.

The length of built-in cable is about 1 meter, the stand-alone TB cable is 2 meters.

3. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

The length of the built in is the problem since the display and the mini are on the opposite ends of the table. the standalone cable is twice the length, thats why I like to know if it would work which I don't think it will.

4. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I can't see why it WOULDN'T work.. The TBD doesn't know/care whether the input cable is "daisy chained" or direct from a computer. It should light up either way.

5. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I guess I'm trying to make certain that it works before dropping $50 on a cable.

6. McGilli macrumors 6502

Well the stand alone cable is 2 meters.

The built in cable is 1 meter.

Grab a measuring tape and measure your distance needed.

I just got my 2 TBD's setup yesterday and it's apparent they are meant to be close to the computer with the built in TB cable since it is pretty short. My Mini is on the floor, and it MUST plug into the TBD directly above it. I tried plugging the display that was above and to the left - and it wouldn't reach.

here is my setup.

[​IMG]

The mini (on the bottom right of desk) can not reach the left monitor with the built in cable.

7. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Can you please tell me if you plugged your mini to the built in TB of the right display or the standalone cable, and used the built in to connect to the left display?

8. McGilli macrumors 6502

I ONLY used the built in TB cables that are attached to the displays.

Mini is attached to the right display.

I did buy 2 standalone cables, but this way I can return them and get my $100 back.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I can drive my ATD from my MBA with ether the built in cable, or with a separate TB cable just fine.

Beware... if you want to attach other devices to the built in cable... is does NOT provide power. So, it will work with a self powered TB device (such as a Pegasus R4)... but not with a bus powered TB device (like the Seagate portable GoFlex). I have not tested, but i presume it would work with the Seagate Desk GoFlex since it is a self powered device.

/Jim

10. Outrigger thread starter macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Thanks, I was looking for confirmation that you can connect the mac via either the built in or the standalone TB cable.