Thunderbolt Display Regrets?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dkersten, May 8, 2012.

1. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I plan on getting a Mac Mini this summer to start programming for iOS. I would like a larger single display rather than a couple smaller displays. My main uses would be programming, a little photo editing (nothing major), browsing the web and accessing data (and playing) from my server. I would like to spend the extra money for the Thunderbolt Display but I have a little trepidation. So...

Any of you that have gone the route of the Thunderbolt Display, do you regret your purchase at all? If so why? Likewise if you do not regret your purchase, why do you like it so much?

Thanks in advance for any constructive feedback!

2. jj48 macrumors regular

Apart from those who receive physically defective screens I doubt there are many at all who regret buying the TBD. After all its potential drawbacks are well documented (glossy screen etc.), so those who purchase know what they're getting themselves into.

If you really think there's a chance you will regret buying it, you could always buy it anyway and return within 14 days if you can't stand it.

3. Liquinn Suspended

I own a Thunderbolt Display, Mac Mini and Macbook Pro and I don't regret the purchase at all as they meet my needs in one way and another. I can hook up my Macbook Pro to the display at the desk if I want to. I say go for it. I'd suggest you go Macbook Pro and Thunderbolt Display as I would say the Macbook Pro is faster (I have the base Mini) but you can't really compare a Macbook Pro with a Mini; I guess xD

4. dkersten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the responses. I really want to get it but I'm not sure I can justify the price. I know that if I get it I will really enjoy it and probably will get it. I've read extensively about it but was hoping to get actual users perspectives and experiences.

5. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I just took delivery of mine a couple of days ago and currently, I have no regrets. Its actually not as big as I remember seeing it in stores. Maybe I'm just getting so desensitized by big displays. I was running dual 24" and when I added the TBD, it didn't look quite right and while 3 displays sounded good, it took up way too much real estate on my desk. So right now, just rocking the TBD + Dell 2412m, not as nice as dual TBDs, but I still use a PC with the Dell.

I have it hooked up to my mini and if I want, my air when I want to. I just wish there was an option to switch input so I can have both hooked up without unplugging and replugging the wires.

Maybe its by design, but if you plug in the ethernet cable to the TBD, the mini will not get internet access. It needs the ethernet plugged in directly to the mini. Not sure why it works for the air or mbp but not the mini.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

The only potential regrets I see are glare (not a problem for me, I like glossy), size (may be too big for some desks), weight (too weak to set up), or physical defects.

Otherwise it's a great display.

7. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Add to the list a lack of ergonomic adjustments. Why can't Apple design a stand that allows for adjusting the height? Like the iMac the T-Bolt display is an ergonomic nightmare.

Pass.

8. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Solution: VESA mount arm.
    (costs more money though and I agree with your complaint)

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I do my research before purchasing, thus I have no regrets.

It has the typical Apple shortcomings, but when you're a long time Mac user, you know it's best to ignore the hype, lower your expectations, and then you'll avoid disappointments.

Improvements I'd like to see are:
    An option to choose a professional anti-glare screen.
    Include an adjustable fully articulated base.
    Increase it's value by reducing its price appropriately.

Otherwise it's a suitable companion to my other Apple gear.

10. dkersten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies guys! None of those should be a problem especially the glare. My room is in a finished basement that gets very little natural light and the display would not be in direct light (natural or artificial). The only light (for the most part) would be the display itself (plus my custom built windows PC) and the LED strips behind the monitor(s) to add a cool glowing effect.

If anyone else has anything to say on the matter, please don't hesitate to add!!

11. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

If you have trouble justifying the costs, why don't you look at a 27" refurbished iMac that works just as well as a display but also it has a computer inside. Always good with some extra storage and processing power. :)

12. dkersten thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought about going that route but I would hate having obsolete computer components bundled with such a beautiful display. I always try to keep my computers separate for this reason. Also when I most likely go the route of the Thunderbolt Display, I plan on keeping it for at least 8 years, assuming that it still functions properly and there isn't a major breakthrough in display technologies. Maybe sometime in the future, but for now I think I would like to keep my computer and monitor separate. Thanks for the input though!

13. rainydays macrumors 6502a

The ATD is a fantastic display, many months later I'm still amazed by the quality of the image on this thing.

That said, I do have some issues with it.

1. The heat of my MacBook increases a lot when it's plugged in. Makes the fans spin up a lot more often. And as I'm very sensitive to fan noise this is a biggie for me.
    I've managed to improve it by using smcFanControl and using a cooling stand for the MB. But it's still a problem that bothers me often.

2. It often doesn't wake up after sleeping the computer and I'll have to unplug and plug in the TB cable again. Main issue is that I have to rearrange the windows again as well. I'm really hoping for Apple to fix this as it seems like a software issue.

3. No audio output on the back. Not a major thing, but still strange that they didn't include this considering the "one cable for everything" deal. But with the Mac Mini its not much of a problem though.

Strangely enough, the glare doesn't bother me much. The only time it bothers me is when editing dark images during the day. But for everything else the brain seems to ignore the glare pretty well. I rarely think about it really.

14. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Well the atd sounds great for you then, but bear in mind that it is a whole lot of computer for little extra money that will last you longer than a mac mini. :)

15. spacesamurai macrumors member

spacesamurai

No regrets for me either. Have it hooked up to my Mac Mini Mid-2011 and have no complaints. I agree with you on the large price tag, so I think it comes down to how much you plan to use it. I am literally in front of mine for more than 8 hours everyday, using it for work and play, so paying the extra money was well worth it.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Not a fix for your problem, but I found the app Display Maid to remember window positions for the TBD and the MBP. You set all your windows where you want them and click save (do this for both displays). From then on the app will detect a display change and automatically resize all open apps/windows. It works pretty well.

17. skuid87, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012

skuid87 macrumors regular

OK this seems interesting. Wondering if this will solve another problem I've been having.

I use my iMac connected to a Projector as a secondary display for watching movies etc. Only issue is that I have to manually drag the application windows (plex) over to the secondary monitor and then fullscreen. When I switch the PJ off, I want plex to run on the iMac screen but I have to manually move it back. Would be great if something could detect when the PJ is on or off and then move the app to the correct display accordingly.

EDIT:
    Sorry, I've realised I'm hijacking this thread. I'll start a new thread. How do it delete this post?

18. dkersten thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha no worries skuid87. I think I'll go with the ATD based off these comments. Thanks for all the advice and feedback guys! Much appreciated.

If anyone has any comments/concerns/additional feedback, feel free to add

19. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

I own two of them, they're gorgeous displays w/ an undeniably aesthetically appealing enclosure but I think in retrospect I'd prefer to be using them w/ a beefy dedicated graphics card than the 6770m in my macbook pro.. I'd rather not own an imac and try to drive yet a 3rd display which is also entirely unnecessary for my needs... so in that sense, yeah I def. regret it, there's way less of a walled garden w/ the normal cinema display, can use them w/ a mac pro or pc tower or what not... also, FWIW there is no real extension cable atm for thunderbolt, so you're limited in placement options w/ your mac (can buy 2m cable for $50 if you need a few more feet)

----------

hmm, that's nice, but my issue w/ my 2 thunderbolt displays is that i want it to remember the arrangement of my monitors (like system preferences > displays > arrangements) whenever i plug in daisy chained thunderbolt displays to my mbp i get a random arrangement order of what is primary monitor, it's like whichever one wakes up first by a matter of milliseconds gets designated as the primary display... i end up rearranging them several times a day.

20. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Or get the Dell U2711, which uses the same LG panel and better circuitry than the ATD. But a refurbished 27" imac is a pretty good idea.

Unfortunately you'll miss out on the thunderbolt connectivity (Ethernet, FW) if you go with the mini + Dell, but that won't really matter with a mini. If he only had an MBA, then I would say the ATD is worth it.

21. Mojo1, May 10, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Maybe SwitchRes will help: http://www.madrau.com/indexSRX4.html

22. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

23. Gator Bob macrumors regular

Great display, great docking station for my Air ... but too big, too hot.
    I returned mine to wait for a 24 inch Thunderbolt ... or I'll just get a 24 inch Eizo.

24. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

I would say this is the best option. Same panel, better price and more connections. :)

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If you look at the reviews at the Apple Store site, they all suggest that it doesn't grant you much in height. They also say it takes up more desk space, but so would a normal springloaded stand. Every other display I've owned simply uses a balanced springloaded stand. They're pretty smooth, especially when new. The one I'm looking at right now is ancient and still pretty smooth. The rotation still works too. Of course at the time it was over $1500 for a 21" display:p. This was a while ago.

Yeah yeah... beautiful display. In my experience they start to drift really hard past a couple years of significant use. I've seen a few Apple displays make it to 8 years, but you shouldn't expect it to look good after that amount of time. They develop aging issues. It's not the bundling that's such an issue for me on the imacs. It's a lot of other things.

It's a very popular display, but I wonder where the better circuitry comment came from. A lot of the older Apple displays that I've seen did die from issues like inverter boards before the backlight faded out to the point of failure. Is the Dell more reliable? It seems to have the same panel number, but it's set up as a wide gamut display. In either case I'd run a profile on the display to get it as neutral as possible. If Dell does an exceptional job setting the levels, it may not be an issue.