Thunderbolt Display resolution question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jkundi, Feb 7, 2016.

1. jkundi macrumors member

HI all, I just purchased a Thunderbolt Display for a reasonable price from the Apple refurbished deals. I was in desperate need of an external monitor to pair up with my MacBook Pro 15" due to limited working screen space. I know the display is out dated and we have 4/5K monitors available to us. But wanted to stick with Apple display for now.

My question is seeing as my MacBook Pro is Retina display. Would the overall quality be lower on the display of images etc, would it give a non retina display look. I'm not to clued up on resolution and resizing. I also have not used one before. Did not have time check it out at an Apple Store.

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... the resolution when using the TB Display will be lower, but I don't find it distracting or particularly noticeable. I use the TBD with a 13" rMBP.

To me images look pretty much the same, but you can notice the difference in text. I think you end up leaning back a little more with the larger display on your desk, so that makes the difference less noticeable than when you are hunched over a laptop much closer to the smaller screen.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

The only time I really notice any appreciable difference in a retina vs. non-retina screen is when it's very close (like, 8" or less) from my eyes.

4. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

Just got my delivery this morning, I'm not completely satisfied with the resolution, I am noticing the blurry icons sadly. I'm in two minds to return and purchase the Dell P2715Q (27-Inch). Or I may order it and compare the displays and make my mind up on what I'm conformable one. I could run the Dell P2715Q at 2x Retina display rather than actual 4K should everything look too tiny.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What icons are you finding blurry and how close are you sitting to the screen? I don't notice blurred icons anywhere with my eyes about 26" from the screen.

6. jkundi thread starter macrumors member

Sorry I meant text mostly, icons not so bad at all. My issue is that I am sitting 2 feet max away from the screen if that. Sadly its the only fixed desk space in my apartment and have nowhere else to setup, talk about limited space. I have literally pushed the display all the way back as possible.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yeah... sounds like your space limitation is forcing you to sit a little closer than optimal. If I scoot up close, I can tell the difference with text also. I don't think it is that bad personally, but you can certainly tell the difference.