Thunderbolt display shipping delays? (Canada)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by skerfoot, Dec 12, 2011.

1. skerfoot macrumors member

Has anyone else been experiencing really slow shipping for the thunderbolt displays? I ordered a couple of them more than 2 weeks ago, and they still aren't here. They were ordered through a campus store, so I don't have direct access to the shipping times, but as of last week they still hadn't been shipped.

2. skerfoot thread starter macrumors member

3. JayMBP macrumors regular

Are they shipped (from the order status)?

If not, why not cancel the original order and pick them up in apple store? Retail apple store have no problem giving you the student discount if you bring student ID with you.

4. skerfoot thread starter macrumors member

I'm still trying to get an answer for that.

I may end up cancelling the order soon, but it's a purchase off of an institutional account, not a personal purchase. There are other options though.

5. skerfoot thread starter macrumors member

now I know why, and it's your fault.

So I found out why shipping was so slow for my displays. It turns out that education stores are at the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to shipping. US, Canadian and retail all get what they want first, and the leftovers eventually will trickle down to education suppliers. Because you bastards are buying up all of the displays for the holidays, the shipping time was pushed back a further 2 weeks (it's already been 3).

So, in case anyone else ends up in the same situation, it turns out that buying through the online education store directly bypasses this and you'll get your order at the same rate that you would if you were a regular customer. Unfortunately, if you're looking for the tax breaks that come with academic institutional purchases (not personal purchases), you can only get access to these through the campus supplier.

I have my doubts that anyone in the same situation will ever find this note, but I thought I'd share in case it ever becomes helpful.

6. JayMBP macrumors regular

Even for institutional accounts, I don't see how an actual apple store won't be able to process it.

Find the store manager and talk to him/her about it. When I bought my ATD at local apple store, the salesman was the manager of the store, and I saw him punching through the app they use, he had the ability to do anything the online store has if not more.

If you don't want to wait, cancel the order and go to a local apple store. I'm sure they will be able to sort it out for you. Heck, when I bought my Mac Mini, they didn't even bother to check any sort of ID, they just asked me what I studied and gave me all the discount I qualified. Unless it's an institutional account with specific campus store... why all the trouble?