Thunderbolt Display [TB Ports Questions] Speed & Possibilities

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lilabila, Nov 16, 2011.

1. lilabila macrumors member

After doing some tests with the Thunderbolt ports some questions arose for me.

The Setup is MBP early11' (Vertex 3), a TB Display and a MBA 11' (with Toshiba SSD)

The AJA Disks Benchmarks are as following in MB/s:
    MBP (Boot Drive) R/W 455/505
    MBA (Boot Drive) R/W 170/205
    MBA (as Target Disk) R/W 106/122 (TB Display in Between)
    MBP (as Target Disk) R/W 130/183 (TB Display in Between)
    MBP (as Target Disk) R/W 135/193 (direct Thunderbolt connection)

Now I'm wondering why the data transfer rates through Thunderbolt are that slow concerning its 10Gbps capabilities per channel. At least the configuration with the MBP as Target Disk to the MBA seems very slow.

Does anybody know why there's just this slow transfer rate?

I intended to use one of these Computers SSD's as a Scratch Disk for HD video editing.

Looking forward for feedback from you great guys!

Ok, the last thing is a theoretical question:
    Would it be possible in any way to extend the processing power and maybe using RAM and other useful features of one of the two computers connected via Thunderbolt to speed up my whole system? You know, something like an external H.264Encoder, for example.

Thank you for reading

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

10 Gbps per channel is the ideal maximum speed, not the normal "to be expected" transfer rate. Your transfer speeds seem normal.

It would be possible. All it takes is for someone to make the device and write the drivers in such a way that it takes advantage of TB's speed.

3. lilabila thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the info, miles! Seems, I have to live with that.
    Can you tell me what components exactly are limiting the transfer rate right now? Is it the Processor's TB Controller?

At least it's possible...