Thunderbolt Display too tall... any way to lower it?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NMF, Feb 22, 2013.

1. NMF, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

And by lower, I mean without using a hideous desk mount? I can't wall mount it because my desk has a hutch with plywood behind the display, which is also what is making it too tall. The top of the TB display is maybe 2-3cm away from the shelves above it. It looks really stupid.

I'm pretty upset about this, to be honest. 90% of the reason I went with the TB display was its looks. I don't want a stupid-looking plastic monitor next to all my expensive Mac stuff. But with it so high, it the TB display also looks kind of stupid. It's not "framed" correctly in the hutch. Way too high.

Is there... anything I can do? This is one of the first times I've been really angry at Apple about locking stuff down. The damn stand should be adjustable.

2. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

Here's what I'm talking about:

Attached Files:

3. iCaleb macrumors 6502

The only solution that I can think of.

Cut out the red wood area.

And then use the green shelf instead as a new place to set the display.

[​IMG]

4. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

I briefly thought about that... if only I was that confident in my carpentry skills. There's a finish to this wood that I'm not sure I could replicate. Also I don't know how cutting up the desk would affect the extended warranty I purchased... this set wasn't cheap. :(

5. iWeekend macrumors regular

a) wallmount via vesa+adaptor

b) hang monitor upside down from hutch

c) ....

6. iCaleb macrumors 6502

That will leave some holes though.

Plus in 5-10 years when NMF wants to replace his TBD by then apple will probably get rid of vesa all together so then he would be stuck on using some pc monitor.

7. iMarvin, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

What's wrong with a non-Apple monitor? For starters the Dell Ultrasharp series of monitor is bother cheaper and better than an Apple monitor.

9. imurdaddy macrumors member

Why didn't you consider the specs. before you purchased the monitor..? A simple measurement beforehand would have exposed this conundrum. Your blaming the monitor for not adapting to the confines of a cabinet...:D

10. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Set the display where you want it, use a #2 pencil and trace around the base of the display. Get a chisel and carefully chisel the wood inside the trace to a depth that will allow the display to be lowered.

That's what I'd do but, good luck.

11. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

change your desk.

12. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

It's new, and wasn't cheap. I absolutely love everything else about it. I can stash all my noisy external hard drives in the compartments of the hutch, it hides stupid stuff like the printer, and there's holes for cable throughout. It's perfect! I also have a matching set of bookshelves and a leather desk chair done in the same style. Changing the desk isn't an option.

13. iCaleb macrumors 6502

Can you exchange the desk for a different one?

14. NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

I don't want to, lol. I spent several years searching for the "perfect" desk for me and this is it. I have no desire to get a different one. If anything, it's the TB display that might have to go. :(

15. iCaleb macrumors 6502

How about putting the display where your mouse and keyboard are and then install a pull out tray for the mouse and keyboard?

16. flynz4 macrumors 68040

You could hire a carpenter to do the work.

Another option would be to ditch the hutch. Personally... I think I would feel a bit claustrophobic with the hutch there anyway... but it is hard to tell looking at a picture vs seeing it in person.

Finally... an adjustable height VESA would probably work. There are a lot of styles out there... many seem quite nice.

/Jim

P.S. I see you went for the ScanSnap. ;) Good move.

17. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Add shims between the hutch and the desktop. Essentially a 2x4 on the two sides and the back. Even if you can't stain it to match, it'll be one solid line around your desk and look uniform. I would personally stain it darker.

18. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Here's a quick mockup of what it might look like. I would make the shim match the darker tone of the handles. This is what I would do personally.

Attached Files:

19. jenzjen macrumors 68000

OP confused what you expect, you don't want to remove the Apple stand, and it is pretty clear you don't want to make modifications to the furniture = stuck with it as-is.

20. NMF, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013

NMF thread starter macrumors 6502a

NMF

Wow, I love that! You're right that I'd never be able to match the stain of the desk itself, but matching the metal handles would be no problem at all. Hmm. Time to call a carpenter, I think!

Funny thing about that, the "desk" area that currently holds the mouse and keyboard actually pulls out a about 12" on its own. That's one of the other reasons I love this desk. Built-in leg room and extended work area if needed. I'm telling you guys... this desk is perfect.

21. smellalot macrumors 6502

Sorry to give you such an unhelpful answer. But I was you I'd be more concerned that the monitor is too far up. It looks like you need to look upwards when your actually should look in a downward manner.

To suggest something helpful: bring the display down all the way as if it was sitting there without a stand.

22. jsolares macrumors 6502a

I don't see why you can't wall mount it with a vesa mount, you would need to pull out the desk and add something (2x4's perhaps) to the back of the plywood where you would be screwing down the vesa mount with a lag bolt or something like it.

23. NMF, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

NMF

A valid concern, but I actually stand 6'4" tall and have a pretty long torso. I tend to have pretty good posture too, heh. I like my chair to be jacked up relatively high to keep my knees comfortable, so with the display in its current position my gaze naturally hits just above dead center on the 27" screen. It'd be fine if it dropped a few inches, but it's also fine at it's current height.

Wouldn't the TB display still be way too heavy for the plywood to support it? The only feasible way I see to wall mount would be to cut a hole in the plywood and mount to the actual wall behind the desk. I'd need a mount with a decent arm length but those don't seem to be hard to come by.

Honestly, the only thing that's keeping me from doing that is cable management -- specifically cable hiding. If there's anything I hate more than asymmetry it's cables showing! Right now I'm relying on the monitor's base to hide all the nonsense; wall mounting would mean that it would all be out in the open. I'd hate looking at the cut-out down there too.

(note: I'm currently waiting for CAT5e and FW800 extension cables to be delivered, so those two remain taped to the plywood for the time being) :p

Attached Files:

24. flynz4 macrumors 68040

25. NMF, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

NMF

That one looks pretty good, though it wouldn't really solve the problem of the cables/cut-out showing. I guess I could get something to put in front of the hole though. Hmm.

Wait. WAIT!

What if I got something like this and used it with the original TB display aluminum base -- with the mounting arm going through the cable hole? The actual base holding the mounting arm would be behind the normal TB display aluminum base. This would give my set up the "appearence" of the display being attached to the normal base (just a bit lower) and would allow me to have a lower screen height while keeping the aluminum base around for cable hiding. It would be the best optical illusion ever.

Could that... work?