Thunderbolt display + USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jamswirl, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jamswirl macrumors regular

So, with the release of ivy bridge and native support for USB 3.0, can we expect the thunderbolt display to be updated to support USB 3.0 alongside the mac line up?

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

One would think. I would buy one if that were the case (again).

But don't expect to see it right away.

3. ModestMoo macrumors 6502

ModestMoo

NO ONE KNOWS.

Oh my god it starts to really piss me off those things "can we expect", "do you think", "I believe that".
    NO! You do not work for Apple's headquarters and no one knows apart from them.

Are we clear?

4. Ashok0 macrumors regular

I don't know, I just hope new PCs + PS4 + XBOX720 will support Thunderbolt for video.

5. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

PMS much?

6. jamswirl thread starter macrumors regular

This is a rumour site.... You may be in the wrong place. If you don't like something, hold your tongue, move on and don't waste your or others time in posting stupid petty comments.

I just want to know whether it's even possible to support multiple USB 3 devices over a single thunderbolt cable like you'd get with a new display.

Thanks

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

If it is possible to support multiple usb 2 devices over TB it should be possible to do the same with USB 3. Thunderbolt will be updated at some point and time. some I imagine and if I recall it will boast faster speeds. I'd say yes but don't expect a new display soon.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple would most likely need to redesign the controller board in the Thunderbolt display to include a USB 3.0 controller. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be able to support the speed. Thunderbolt is capable of 10Gbps up and down at the same time, while USB 3.0 maxes out at 5Gbps.

9. austinted macrumors newbie

Everyone ends up in a dilemma over these displays nowadays due to the hub functions that are now built in. Over time I suspect that it will become a moot point. Eventually there should be some good 3rd party TB hubs released and you should be able to keep your ACD, ATB, or 3rd party display and just use the hub to provide whatever additional connectivity is needed. Yeah, it's another box on the desk, but there are probably other boxes on the desk anyway that you're connecting to.

10. DaveOZ macrumors regular

I hope so. Give me an excuse to buy another TBD and run a dual setup.

11. MCV, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2012

MCV macrumors newbie

This site is named "MacRumors" and in case you didn't realize, the whole purpose is to report and discuss rumors and speculation. I think it's time you find a new place to vent.

12. aixporter macrumors member

aixporter

looks like there's still no sign of the usb 3.0 display. i guess apple is forcing us to upgrade our macbooks instead of opting for a display to get usb 3.0

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you have a laptop that does Thunderbolt, you can use the Display's Thunderbolt port to chain a bunch of HDs. That is much faster than USB 3. You can use the Display's USB 2 ports for keyboards, mice, trackpads and other devices where speed is not critical. And the FW port will be faster than USB 2 if you still have FW devices. We are using Thunderbolt towards HDs where we keep our libraries (photos, music, documents..etc.)

We can all hope for a Display refresh when Apple refreshs iMacs. I am getting the wife and I Displays for the holidays. If the refresh happens later this year...GREAT. Yesterday I ordered Apple Care for Displays. It was just under $80 at B&H. B&H also had the cheapest Display prices I saw for new Displays. Apple had refurbed Displays for $829 with warranty.

14. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

There is that Belkin Thunderbolt dock to consider, whenever it actually comes out. Though pricy it will still cost far less than a new Macbook.

15. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    chill, before you burst an ovary!

this is a macrumors site, correct? Surely speculation about future projects are inherent of any rumour site!
    :confused:

16. bniu macrumors 6502a

I'm dragging my feet on buying a 2nd TBD just because of the potential USB 3.0. Don't want to buy a USB 2.0 version and soon a newer version comes out.

17. misterbig macrumors member

I think it's safe to say that the next revision of the TB display will have USB 3.0. The only question is when it will be released.

Personally I think there will be an additional TB port added, and FW800 will be removed. With FW800 gone from the Retina MBPs, the writing's on the wall.

18. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

TB devices have to be chained in a series. Two TB ports out would require two TB ports in.

19. electronique macrumors 6502

Fingers crossed for USB3.

If it were to be released, I would keep my 2011 MacBook Pro and purchase a display.. I'm so tempted to get an iMac, but my MBP is still a very capable machine.

Getting into music again, and would love to get a few USB3 HDDs. After so many years, thunderbolt drive are still stupidly priced.

20. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

But it and a good 27" IPS montor will cost as much or more than ATD.