Thunderbolt display USB sound card

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by curtoise, Feb 20, 2012.

1. curtoise macrumors 6502a

I'm getting a 27' Thunderbolt display tomorrow and I'm trying to select a USB sound card in Amazon for the display, I do not want to have the speaker wires all the way to my laptop and I'll love if I can connect them to the Thunderbolt, what is the best sound card for this?

How the speakers will operate? Will the regular volume functions in my MBP work with this usb sound card?

I'll appreciate your answers.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Are you talking about a USB sound card or speakers with a USB connection?

In either case, the volume control on the Mac should work.

3. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Bear macrumors G3

5. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for catching that, can you recommend a compatible one? It s**** that the Thunderbolt $1000 does not have audio out.

6. Fynd macrumors 6502

http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_U3/#specifications

I believe this works with OS X, I did a quick search and couldn't find any evidence... but I'm certain I've read that several times around the 'net, as I've been interested in getting one of these badboys when i get a TBD.

As a bonus, it supports DD Live and a few other niche features, which is awesome as I use Astro's A40s.

7. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, the price is good too but I just cannot find if it is Mac compatible anywhere.

How a USB card will work? When I wake up the MBP it will be automatically connected? No weird loud noises, etc? i just want to get rid of all wires and connect everything to the TACD