Thunderbolt Display (vs Dell LCD) for programming and web browsing

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by macrumorsuser10, Nov 1, 2011.

1. macrumorsuser10 macrumors 6502

Hello fellow software engineers :)

I am looking for a larger monitor to replace my Dell 2407 LCD that I bought in 2006. Current candidates include the Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display and the Dell 30" U3011.

The Thunderbolt Display is perhaps too glossy. When I looked at it in the Apple Store, there were two planes of focus: the text and whatever was reflecting off the screen, seemingly behind the text. I don't know if that's something I can adjust to.

Any opinions on these? I probably have the same usage as you do: writing software, reading webpages, some Photoshopping, and very occasionally some games.

2. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

I was really happy with my 27" Dell monitor (U27??). I also used to the same purposes.

I use a 27" 2011 iMac now for those purposes. I guess it that same screen as the Thunderbold Display.

In regards to glossiness, at first I was distracted. But now I'm used to it. My brain is too focus on the code to notice anything else. :)

3. macrumorsuser10 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any other opinions from other programmers out there??

4. mfram macrumors 65816

The Dell U2711 uses the same IPS panel as the Apple 27" display. The big difference is that the Apple display is glossy and only has the Thunderbolt connection with the TB 'hub'. The Dell display has DP, DVI, HDMI, and VGA with a matte coating and a USB hub. And, of course, it doesn't have the Apple aesthetic.

5. vaxt macrumors newbie

If I didn't already have a 13" MBA and a 27" iMac I would purchase a 15" MBP and a 27" thunderbolt display to serve my desktop and mobile needs.

The thunderbolt display is great, as it serves as a docking station through thunderbolt.

For programming the matte display is most certainly better, so if that's really a concern of yours, then go with the Dell. I would go with the thunderbolt display otherwise; 30 vs 27 inch wouldn't make a difference to me, and the thunderbolt display is cheaper and cooler.

6. ryan macrumors 6502

You might want to take a look at this recent blog post. While it doesn't address your specific question as to which of those two montiors is best for developers it does cover ways to deal with glossy screens.