Thunderbolt Display with Inbuilt GPU??

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Winter Charm, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

Do you think we will ever see apple's 27" Thuderbolt Display get inbuilt graphics to give your machine a boost when you begin to daisy chain them?

Ideally, I would love to have a Macbook Air and Thunderbolt Display with an insane GPU...

I mean, thunderbolt should be fast enough to support it. And I really want to buy a Thunderbolt display, but I can't justify it unless there really is a huge advantage :/

2. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

It's certainly a possibility, but it would raise costs quite significantly as well as complexity; you'd need a bigger power supply, better cooling and so on, plus software support in the Mac itself.

A superduper GPU would be wasted on the Thunderbolt display since the connection isn't quite high-bandwidth enough to push highly complex scenes at high framerates, but a mobile-class GPU, even an upper-range model, would probably be quite well matched.

This is also the biggest issue, because GPUs age MUCH faster than the display itself does. Wait 3 years and most GPUs seem hellishly slow and outdated if you actually use them to any great extent. However, 3 years on a display often only puts it in its late teens, and can thus be expected to serve a lot longer. Imagine being joined at the hip to a lower mid-end class GPU (which is where even the best mobile chips belong) for that long! You'll go nuts in short order. ;)

3. JayMBP macrumors regular

I can see TB-based GPU adapter. But certainly not built into the TBD itself.

4. Star Brood macrumors newbie

I emailed Apple the other day requesting a Thunderbolt external GPU or at least the firmware to support it.

If that was the case, then I wouldn't need to settle for the middle-class Mac Mini. I could go with the quad-core Mac Mini that lacks the GPU and then get the Thunderbolt GPU to back it up.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything on the horizon saying such a thing is actually going to happen, just rumors.