Thunderbolt display with non Apple notebook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nlrela, Nov 18, 2012.

1. nlrela macrumors newbie

At the moment I am doubting about buying a Macbook Pro and a Thunderbolt Cinema Display ....

Only thing is, that I should also be able to connect a Lenovo Thinkpad (= office notebook) to the display as well.

Is that possible with a Mini DisplayPort auf-VGA-Adapter or does such a cable only work the other direction (e.g. beamer or other branded monitor to an Apple device) ?

Thanks for the feedback !

2. simsaladimbamba

The MDP to VGA adapter only works one way, thus the word "to/auf" before VGA and after MDP.

For using a Thunderbold display with a non Thunderbolt device you probably need some expensive adapter. Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:
    [​IMG]

3. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

There are no adapters, a device with a thunderbolt port is mandatory... atm there are no PC laptops to my knowledge with thunderbolt ports, there are a few pc motherboards for desktops though.

4. hunter3740 macrumors member

mini displayport

Just thought I would try: plugged the Apple Thunderbolt Disply into a Lenovo laptop with a mini displayport (X1 Carbon Ultrabook), but the laptop can't wake up this beautiful screen; i.e. it may be true that only a "thunderbolt" port can wake up the newest Mac monitor (e.g. Lenovo Thinkpad Edge S430 or Acer Aspire S5 Ultrabook).

5. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Thunderbolt displays need thunderbolt. That's why Apple still sells the older ACD on their website.