Thunderbolt display with onboard graphics processor?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by commac, Nov 15, 2013.

1. commac macrumors regular

Was at the apple store last week and an older Apple rep came to assist me while i was testing out the 13" rmbp attached to the thunderbolt display.

He started to explain how the Thunderbolt display has its own gpu that kicks in if its stonger than the computer powering its gpu...

I was jaw dropped and very impressed but still skeptic as I had never heard such a thing and consider myself pretty knowlegeable on current tech.

He then started telling me about the 13"s Iris "Pro" graphics which quickly put him in the crazy old man category and i was immediately able to write off everything he had said prior.

Until I stumbled on this
    http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/12_possible_uses_thunderbolt_port

Number 5

Does the TBD have some kind of GPU? I brief Google search turned up blank.

2. hydesg macrumors newbie

hey what i told you at the store was correct.
    thanks for pointing out the link of the website that i made.

3. commac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the great info Dr. J.R Bookwalter!

4. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

No it doesn't. It also isn't particularly a "Mind blowing" idea since Thunderbolt doesn't particular have the bandwidth for remote high end graphics. The reason the example used is the MBA coupled to a external GPU is because previous MBA's iGPU were weak. As they get more capable there is a lower gap. Better, the next version of MBA get a more power efficient Iris Pro implementatin than move the GPU to the display.

The salesman's story seems to be a muddled version of what happens when have a laptop with both iPGU and discrete GPU. Those systems can switch to the more powerful GPU.

5. commac thread starter macrumors regular

Nice analysis. Youre prolly right in that he got some ideas crossed between TBD and dgpu vs igpu. Still strange to see that web post as a follow up.

Thanks for the answer. Was hoping i was wrong but maybe in the future with TB2.