Thunderbolt display with rmbp 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rp5993, Aug 22, 2014.

1. rp5993 macrumors newbie

Hello ladies and gents, first post here!

Alright, this is the deal: I own a late 2013 retina mbp 15" top model and i use it quite often for uni and works.

However, I would like to add either an extra screen, like the thunderbolt display 27" or some other quality model, because i fancy extra screen estate and comfort at my home desk.

Problem is - I had a bad experience connecting the rmpb 15" into an external display, it was through hdmi which is not the best, but the UI didn't fit the screen and the font was blurry. So I'm afraid to spend a thousand euros on a screen for the macbook and get a mediocre experience.

So now I'm considering the iMac 27" instead. But it's really a shame to leave such powerful desktop turned off doing nothing except on uni days.

If anyone could give me some feedback on using a rmbp 15" on an external display would be greatly appreciated. Won't they heat up too much? Do you use clamshell or not? Does the UI fit perfectly?

PS: i do cad and photoshop work, that's pretty much it.

Thanks

2. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Don't be afraid. Buy the Thunderbolt Display.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah.... not to worry. I have been using first a MacBook Air and now a 13" Retina with a TB display for over two years and never had a problem. I always run in clamshell mode and it never gets hot.

4. thejoshhoward macrumors member

I've been set up with 15" rmbp and the 27" Thunderbolt display since 2012. It's fantastic. I leave the mb in clamshell mode, never gets hot. Really great setup for me.

5. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

I'd get one of those samsung 4k displays, cheaper and better!

6. tillsbury macrumors 65816

If the font was blurry you didn't have it set up right. The MBPr works perfectly with an external display (or two, or three). Look at the 4K screens, or hold off until they improve a little. Ensure you get one that works with the MBPr (not all do properly at 60Hz).

At less than 4k, you don't have to worry. I've used a 30" Dell on my MBPr (in clamshell) since I got when they came out. I would suggest that the Apple TB display is overpriced and due for a major upgrade, but any other 27"+ display is worth looking at.