Thunderbolt display with white macbook a1181 (display port to thuderbolt?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hipwell, Oct 31, 2013.

1. hipwell macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I bought a thunderbolt display for my macbook pro 17'' early 2011 and it works great.
    But also I would like to connect my old white macbook(a1181) to it so my family can use it when I'm not at home.
    I upgraded the old macbook to 6GB RAM and 256 SSD, so the performance is quite good for casual use.
    I'm aware that max resolution for 2nd display is 1920x1200 but still I want to connect it, so they can enjoy this beautiful display.

Will this cable do the job http://www.amazon.es/StarTech-com-Cable-Adaptador-MiniDisplayPort-Displayport/dp/B002XVYZ82

if not, any alternative?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

No. You need a Thunderbolt equipped Mac to drive a Thunderbolt display.

3. hipwell thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you can connect also with mini-display macbooks

4. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

nope

No you can't, you can do the other around thunderbolt to mini displayport but to use use a thunderbolt peripheral, you need a computer with a thunderbolt port. I looked everywhere for this and it's not doable

5. jdaniel macrumors 65816

the TB display is not the same as the cinema display.. it has a ethernet ports n usb etc etc and all those are intertwined with the display via the TB cable so no... u cannot..

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

no you cannot. source needs to be TB. think about it, how can you drive a TB peripheral if the source doesn't have it. forget about TB takes the form of a mini display port.