Thunderbolt Display Woes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by FrizzleFryBen, Oct 28, 2011.

1. FrizzleFryBen macrumors 6502

I recently purchased 3 Thunderbolt Displays for the office. 1 for me, our president and our Bus Dev Manager. I have the latest gen 15" MBP and they have latest gen 11" and 13" MBAs. We constantly have problems with laptops waking up but not waking display up, solid blue screen until we give up and hard reboot our computers, and peripherals not working via USB without reboot. This morning, I connect and it woke my MBP up and gave me a solid blue screen on the display. I unplugged the thunderbolt and opened my MBP and it had the login screen but the whole thing was frozen. After 10 minutes of open, shut, plug-in, un-plug of thunderbolt I finally had to hard re-boot it!

Three people, three brand-spankin-new displays and computers and nothing but frustration nearly every morning. Are we the only ones? My concern is that I am hiring more people and wanted to get them the same setup, MBA + 27", but I don't want them to have to go thru what we go thru.

2. paulisme, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2011

paulisme macrumors 6502

Apple released a "Thunderbolt display compatibility" update yesterday. Maybe try applying that.

By the way, are you hiring? I'd love to work for someone who'll buy me an ATD! :)

3. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

MB + TB display with your job! That is ONE HE'LL of a work perk!

4. FrizzleFryBen thread starter macrumors 6502

Suppose I should have done my research first. I'll try that, thanks!

We have two intern positions available and two full time available in Charlotte, NC. Interns get what they get. Other two positions get 13" MBA + TB.

5. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I have a TBD and 13" MBA in my office and I leave it there overnight, so when I come in for work in the morning, I just tap a key on the keyboard and everything springs to life. I've not had the problem you describe at all. I do have Filevault turned on, if that makes a difference.

6. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Came home from visiting the parents yesterday, plugged in my MBP 13" to my TB display (Mac in sleep mode) and the external USB keyboard refused to work until I re-plugged the TB display.

There's another TB software update on the way from Apple, but it hasn't appeared in the software update utility yet so I haven't applied it. Maybe that will help, this thing can be a bit wonky when hotplugging it with the computer in sleep mode.

Never had any issues with the computer attached all the time to the display, it's worked pretty much like clockwork, but when unplugging and then re-plugging it doesn't always want to play ball.

That, and all the window positions getting mucked up from changing screen resolution annoy me a bit. Hopefully they will fix, but who the hell knows.

7. ascender macrumors 68000

All the ports on my TB display stopped working so its gone back to an Apple repair agent who've ordered a new logic board for it.

Bit of a pain as they first sent us to a repair agent who no longer have a license. Then they organised a courier who turned up a day early after being told we wouldn't be in leaving us to drive to their depot to drop the monitor off at which point we got a nail through one of our tyres in their car park. Happy days!