Thunderbolt Display - Worth getting AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dadioh, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Dadioh macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Probably a common question but searching the forum for reliability issues there don't seem to be any red flags. Just wondering if it worth the $129 CDN to get the extra 2 years coverage? Any particular reliability issue that would warrant purchasing AppleCare?

2. cebseb macrumors regular

I really don't think so. The LCDs are quite reliable. I've found that if any issues were to arise with a display, it will rear its head within the first year.

3. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Only worth it if you get it free with the purchase of applecare on another purchase. If you buy a Mac and a display, apple care covers both.

If you are not buying a Mac then I would make sure you buy it on a credit card that extends the warranty to two years. if you don't have one, I'm sure a friend or family member does.

4. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

Thanks. That is what I was thinking. Usually display issues are pretty obvious up front (no pun intended... Well maybe a little intended) ;)

The other factor for me is that I do Mac repairs so in the unlikely case that I had an issue I would probably try to resolve it myself. Although I have never opened a Thunderbolt Display I have worked on iMacs, Mac mini, MacBook pros, Airs so I think I would be able to sort it out.

Here's to apple reliability :apple:

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The display has never failed on mine, but the cable has been damaged twice before. Both times they replaced the whole unit with a new one.

6. cebseb macrumors regular

Ah yes, totally forgot about that rotten cable... That's easily avoided though. With a healthy fear of keeping the cable clean and free of kinks, issues would rarely arise.

7. Dadioh thread starter macrumors 65816

Dadioh

I looked at the iFixit teardown and looks like the cable is easily replaceable. It is a thunderbolt connector on the logic board so presumably any Thunderbolt cable will work. Just a matter of routing it out through the back. I notice they also snapped on a couple of ferrites for EMC reduction.

With careful handling I suspect the cable should last me the life of the monitor. I sit my Air on the monitor foot which gives the cable a nice gentle curve without straining the connector.