Thunderbolt Display (worth it?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LunarianCrystal, Sep 30, 2012.

1. LunarianCrystal macrumors newbie

I've read nothing but bad things about Thunderbolt Display... Well not entirely true but it seems hit/miss. Some people have a problem with the sleep mode/USB ports/ethernet port and some people have no problems.

I want one but I'm kind of worried it just won't work...and I'll be stuck with a $1000.00 device I can't utilize - Yeah yeah blah blah I could take it to genius bar but I'd rather not put up with it. Would it be better to just get a new TV to connect the computer to, or normal monitor with HDMI?

2. tomPet macrumors newbie

Actually, I'd like to know if anyone as heard anything about a pending update to the Thunderbolt Display. Since USB 3.0 is now on the MB Pro .. and presumably future hardware updates .. one would think the TD is due for a refresh as well.

So .. has anyone heard anything? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

3. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

A thread was started about a possible update a day or 2 ago. I didn't look into it enough though to see if it was based on rumours, or whether it was just someone being hopeful.

4. tomPet macrumors newbie

Thanks .. I see it now. Guess we'll all find out soon enough.

5. gowanis macrumors 6502

I'd also like to hear from some happy Thunderbolt Display users. I'm about to pull the trigger (maybe today).. I'm just tired of waiting for a refresh.

Anyone out there loving the thing with no problems at all ?

6. jamswirl macrumors regular

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If you do order a ATD, consider getting Apple Care for it. You can get it for less than $80 at B&H. B&H has new ATDs for $950. You can refurbed ones from Apple for $850 with full warranty.

Santa in the brown truck will be delivering a pair of of ADTs to our house in December. So I hope for a refresh from USB 2 to USB 3....but that is not critical as we use Thunderbolt to connect to external drives.

8. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Had mine since May and love it, although the screen doesn't seem as big as it used to. I have it paired with a dell 24" but it just doesn't look right esp different design, different size and different resolution. I'm planning on picking up another one, but would hate to get the same USB 2.0 at this point. I could care less about it being retina and I would bet the farm that it'll have the same resolution which I'm more than OK with. but no one knows when the refresh will come.