Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MRromantic, Apr 10, 2012.

1. MRromantic macrumors newbie

Hi,

I was planning to buy a thunderbolt display to pair up with my 2011 MB pro.
    I stalled a bit wanting to be sure I really want it and need it. But when I finally decided, went to the shop to check availability and all the pricing details, I went here to the buyer's guide and it recommended not to buy! That the product is at the end of its cycle.

Can anyone give me some advice? Should I wait? how likely it is that apple will release a new display soon? I really wouldn't want to buy a TB display just to surprised the next that that a new one just came out for the same price.

Thanks.

2. Liquinn Suspended

Ahh you're right, I was planning to purchase one in June/July (a few months yet I know). Now doesn't seem the time to buy any Apple products apart from an iPad.

I would probably buy one if you really really need it but otherwise wait.

I'm not sure how often they get re-refreshed; what more can they do to the screen though? XD

Cheers

3. RedCroissant Suspended

I would buy it anyway unless....

Sure the buying guide helps people out when they can't decide what to do, but if I had followed the buyer's guide, I would have waited even longer to get my 2011 MBP. I love it and don't care if they refresh it and I "lose out" on stuff because it has been awesome.

With a TB port, 3 usb ports, a firewire800, and ethernet I really don't know how you could go wrong by getting the display. But If I were you, I would buy a refurbished TB iMac instead. This way you get more expandability, the same HD experience, and another computer and accessories to go with it that you could also use for your MBP.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Only if you really hate glossy like I do and Apple announces an anti-glare version this month. But, I basically agree with your sentiment. There has been no time during the last 30 years when things stood still so long that you could really treat them as "investments". There is always a new product around the corner.

5. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

i can only give my experience. I have a MBP2011 with anti-glare and a TB display. I hesitated because of the lack of anti-glare but it works better than expected (depends on your lighting of course).

Conclusion: I'm very happy with the purchase, the enormous amount of screen-estate is very nice. The reflections are extreme mild (IMO) and don't bother me. And the TB connectivity and the rest, is perfect. To connect everything to the MBP with just the TB plug is nice too.

Don't know when and with what apple will come, that's up to you.

6. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

As others have stated: if you need it, buy it! The grass is always greener on the other side. Especially pertaining to electronics. I think need always trumps want even if something is expensive. You have to decide how much want trumps need, as we can't do that for you! Of course saying you have established your own criteria for need and want, and have successfully defined them. :D

7. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I bought my TBD about two months ago, to go along with my 15" MBP.

I count the display as one of the better Apple purchases I've made. I have a habit of frequently upgrading my laptops, so the TBD should last for several hardware cycles.

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

Apple could be replacing USB 2.0 with USB 3.0 to coincide with imminent release of Ivy Bridge-based MacBook Pros.

9. beach bum macrumors member

beach bum

Buy it!

I just purchased and took delivery of the Thunderbolt display on Monday, and I can't understand why I waited so long. The reflective screen really isn't a problem for me especially if you consider that my computer room is surrounded by 6 windows.

The Thunderbolt is one of the best displays in its class for the money and is worth it in my opinion. I would think that unless you are willing to upgrade your MBP with any new upgrade they do for the display (port wise) you can't lose. Also, think of the extra ports that the Thunderbolt offers along with what you have on the MBP. Go for it and enjoy!