Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
Will they update it in this refresh tomorrow? And if they don't, is it worth getting anyway?

jameswdmb

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
When you ask if it is worth getting, you are not providing enough information to accurately respond.....

What are you using as your machine?
What type of work do you typically do on your Mac?
Do you plan on purchasing another Mac down the road? (The Thunderbolt is not just a display, it is a docking station. Assuming that you replace your machine every 3 to 4 years, it is not unrealistic that you can get 3 generations of machines use out of the display/docking station). Thunderbolt may or may not become mainstream, but it is hard to imagine that speeds like that will become obsolete and "too slow to work with" anywhere on the horizon.

The only real drawback to the Thunderbolt is that it is USB 2.0, but if your new machine is USB 3.0 then you will still have access to the technology.

Unless you have a macbook air, its not worth it. :)

What makes you say that? I can only assume that this is sarcasm.....

puke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
When you ask if it is worth getting, you are not providing enough information to accurately respond.....

What are you using as your machine?
What type of work do you typically do on your Mac?
Do you plan on purchasing another Mac down the road? (The Thunderbolt is not just a display, it is a docking station. Assuming that you replace your machine every 3 to 4 years, it is not unrealistic that you can get 3 generations of machines use out of the display/docking station). Thunderbolt may or may not become mainstream, but it is hard to imagine that speeds like that will become obsolete and "too slow to work with" anywhere on the horizon.

The only real drawback to the Thunderbolt is that it is USB 2.0, but if your new machine is USB 3.0 then you will still have access to the technology.

Im sorry, ill give you some more information.

Im purchasing the new mbp coming tomorrow, effectively replacing my 2009 mbp 15". In this transition im also selling my pathetic 23" screen and im on rhe verge of updating.

Im getting the 17" if they release one; if not im getting the 15" with ssd and maxing ram. To it, i want a 27" screen and ive decided on apples Thunderbolt Display. Im going to use it for a bit of photo editing and a bit of casual gaming (d3 and wow arena). Lots of surfing the web and a bit of webdesign. Im having it wirelessly connected to my 50" tv with apple tv and time capsule.

Im wondering the same as you, why not buy it if im using anything else then a macbook air?

shelob8888

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
I would totally get one! they are truly great displays, expensive, but they are beautiful (even when they are turned off!!!)

I am in a similar position as you, and wanting to upgrade. I do a good amount of gaming, and my 23" HP just doesn't compare to the Thunderbolt Displays.

Have you played around with them?? and had a chance to compare them to others of the same size that are not thunderbolt displays?

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!

Why would it be sarcasm? If you have a macbook pro or a mac mini with plenty ports why would you pay a premium for a panel that you can get for half the price in the Dell U2711? On the other hand, if you have a macbook air, which doesn't exactly have a lot of connectivity options, the thunderbolt display with the extra ports is very welcome. :)

jameswdmb

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Why would it be sarcasm? If you have a macbook pro or a mac mini with plenty ports why would you pay a premium for a panel that you can get for half the price in the Dell U2711? On the other hand, if you have a macbook air, which doesn't exactly have a lot of connectivity options, the thunderbolt display with the extra ports is very welcome. :)

I am sure the Dell Monitor is nice, but your missing one part....the THUNDERBOLT capabilities. The Dell sells on Amazon for $800.... unsure about shipping cost. The Apple model includes thunderbolt and can be had at the refurb store for $850 and Free shipping. Personally, given the two options I would choose the Thunderbolt display, in fact I just ordered one last week. I am also planning on buying a new pro (hopefully tomorrow night or tuesday) and an air could be an option down the road if they ever get sufficient enough RAM, or a mac mini .....also, what if the next gen macbooks only include thunderbolt ports (very likely).....your choice of the dell is sufficient for now, but looking down the road, I want an $800+ purchase to not just be functional with current equipment, but at least my next machine as well. Unless you are not planning on an apple being your next purchase after this new machine, then you should seriously consider the Thunderbolt.

Worth mentioning - I happen to own a 22'' HD Dell monitor that is one of my 2 monitors on my Windows machine and it is a quality monitor, nothing wrong with the product and I would recommend it to anyone. This is only a 1920 x 1080 however, and when faced with a comparable product (Dell U2711 vs Thunderbolt) I think the Thunderbolt speeds and functionality, combined with trusting Apples quality a bit more than Dell's, both justify the $50 difference, not to mention Applecare option and the sheer fact that this display is designed specifically to work on this type of machine....it was a easy decision for me to make.

puke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Sweden
The only reason I can think of that would support NOT getting it is the fact that there are USB2 ports on it aswell as it might be updated soon with a slimmer form factor? Like the 30".

I want it so bad and the money is a non-issue, it's just that... Will it be upgraded soon?

Also, i'm not getting any other computer then Mac in the foreseeable future, that's for sure.

----------

I would totally get one! they are truly great displays, expensive, but they are beautiful (even when they are turned off!!!)

I am in a similar position as you, and wanting to upgrade. I do a good amount of gaming, and my 23" HP just doesn't compare to the Thunderbolt Displays.

Have you played around with them?? and had a chance to compare them to others of the same size that are not thunderbolt displays?

Yes, i've played around with them. They're gorgeous and they are sharp as hell. Gaming on one is like an orgasm for the eyes, that's for sure. (And agreed, they're a ****ing design-item for your flat) seriously.... ^^

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
I am sure the Dell Monitor is nice, but your missing one part....the THUNDERBOLT capabilities. The Dell sells on Amazon for $800.... unsure about shipping cost. The Apple model includes thunderbolt and can be had at the refurb store for $850 and Free shipping. Personally, given the two options I would choose the Thunderbolt display, in fact I just ordered one last week. I am also planning on buying a new pro (hopefully tomorrow night or tuesday) and an air could be an option down the road if they ever get sufficient enough RAM, or a mac mini .....also, what if the next gen macbooks only include thunderbolt ports (very likely).....your choice of the dell is sufficient for now, but looking down the road, I want an $800+ purchase to not just be functional with current equipment, but at least my next machine as well. Unless you are not planning on an apple being your next purchase after this new machine, then you should seriously consider the Thunderbolt.

Worth mentioning - I happen to own a 22'' HD Dell monitor that is one of my 2 monitors on my Windows machine and it is a quality monitor, nothing wrong with the product and I would recommend it to anyone. This is only a 1920 x 1080 however, and when faced with a comparable product (Dell U2711 vs Thunderbolt) I think the Thunderbolt speeds and functionality, combined with trusting Apples quality a bit more than Dell's, both justify the $50 difference, not to mention Applecare option and the sheer fact that this display is designed specifically to work on this type of machine....it was a easy decision for me to make.

You do know that the Dell and TBD use the same type of panel? And the Dell is way more compatible down the road with its hdmi, mdp and dvi, i doubt that apple will stop supporting mini display port. And why would you need thunderbolt capabilities in a display, sure it looks nice with one wire and all. :)

Here in Sweden, Dell sells for half the price. So its great value, not that i need it since i have an iMac. But still. :apple:

jameswdmb

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012
Here in Sweden, Dell sells for half the price. So its great value

It sounds like it is a great deal where you are.....but the too items are not the same just because they have the same panel. You are aware that Thunderbolt is more than just a graphics interface right? I dont believe that hdmi, mdp and dvi support this:

"Thunderbolt I/O technology lets you move data between your devices and your computer with unprecedented speed. With two channels of 10-Gbps throughput in both directions, it’s up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0 and up to 12 times faster than FireWire 800. And it allows you to connect as many as six devices through a single, compact port"

iMarvin

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
On the internet!
It sounds like it is a great deal where you are.....but the too items are not the same just because they have the same panel. You are aware that Thunderbolt is more than just a graphics interface right? I dont believe that hdmi, mdp and dvi support this:

"Thunderbolt I/O technology lets you move data between your devices and your computer with unprecedented speed. With two channels of 10-Gbps throughput in both directions, it’s up to 20 times faster than USB 2.0 and up to 12 times faster than FireWire 800. And it allows you to connect as many as six devices through a single, compact port"

I know what thunderbolt is, but i don't se the reason for it to be used in a display. It's great if you have some thunderbolt gadgets, but as few and expensive as they are today i really don't se any use for it yet. Sure if you like apple gadgets, go ahead. But i doubt that it will be used for more than its usb hub and possibly an ethernet jack.

But soon, when thunderbolt is widespread. Then all the goodies will come. :)

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
You do know that the Dell and TBD use the same type of panel? And the Dell is way more compatible down the road with its hdmi, mdp and dvi, i doubt that apple will stop supporting mini display port. And why would you need thunderbolt capabilities in a display, sure it looks nice with one wire and all. :)

Here in Sweden, Dell sells for half the price. So its great value, not that i need it since i have an iMac. But still. :apple:

You forger to mention that the Dell is actually a better screen as well. It as a wide gamut backlight (which the TBD does not), so the Dell can display nearly the whole Adobe RGB gamut - or maybe even all of it, I can't remember. The TBD cab only manage the much smaller sRGB gamut.

So anyone keen on photography is much better off with the Dell screen.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
I wonder if an update the TB display is forthcoming given the move to USB3 across the Macbook line up.

I would expect a bump to USB 3, retina (it actually wouldn't have to be much higher resolution than it is right now, given the average viewing distance of a 27 inch display), and MagSafe 2.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I am sort of vaguely holding out hope that the Apple hardware designer who has the vampire phobia will find out that vampires are not real and stop making every display into a functional mirror, at which point I would totally get one. No way I'm getting the glossy model, though. I looked at it in a store; there's no way I could use that for any length of time.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
I really hope they update it soon with USB 3.0 and MagSafe 2. It's not like I actually need more USB 3 ports or the new MagSafe, but it's almost a confirmation that they won't update it again a year or so, so it's not outdated the day you buy it. This may be stupid, but confidence is something I like when spending 1k on something.

Retina is not going to happen this year. If it would, they would have liked to present it on WWDC. Imagine a beamer with 5120x2880 resolution - the audience would have been totally stunned. :D

jamesr19

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2009
I really hope they update it soon with USB 3.0 and MagSafe 2.

I seriously doubt they'll update to MagSafe 2 - not of of their MacBook range uses it and it wouldn't make sense to have a MagSafe 2 -> MagSafe adapter when they have MagSafe -> MagSafe2!

Only a "fan-boy" would want MagSafe2 on a thunderbolt because they want the 'latest and greatest'. There is no need [whatsoever] for an ATD with MagSafe 2 instead of MagSafe.

Poki

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2012
I seriously doubt they'll update to MagSafe 2 - not of of their MacBook range uses it and it wouldn't make sense to have a MagSafe 2 -> MagSafe adapter when they have MagSafe -> MagSafe2!

Only a "fan-boy" would want MagSafe2 on a thunderbolt because they want the 'latest and greatest'. There is no need [whatsoever] for an ATD with MagSafe 2 instead of MagSafe.

Well, a Adapter from the other side (MagSafe 2 -> MagSafe) would cost just peanuts to build. Everybody knows that MagSafe 2 is the future.

I personally would use it with a Mac Mini, so no need at all for it - but when I buy a new MacBook in the future, I'd like to have MagSafe 2. Not necessary though.

With USB 3 it's a different story. Would be great to have some more USB 3 ports, although most people (including me) don't need more than 2 or 4 USB 3 ports.

lannisters4life

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Sydney

Updating the Thunderbolt display to Magsafe 2 sounds exactly like something they'd do. It pushes people to their newer products, it sells more adapters.

Perhaps with an iMac refresh they'll bump it up to USB 3 too, but keep everything else the same. Jony Ive should have his knighthood revoked if it doesn't align with the next redesign of the iMac though.

Lance-AR

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Little Rock, AR
I'm thinking the TBD won't be updated this year. From their perspective, if you want USB3 it's on the motherboard otherwise use Thunderbolt. It lets buyers of Macs to check off the USB3 checkbox while still allowing Apple to push Thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.